POSITION TITLE: Assignment Desk Editor (#14361BR)
LOCATION: NBC 5
Posting Date: February 18, 2014
NBCUniversal’s Owned Television station in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, KXAS TV, is looking for an Assignment Desk Editor. As an Assignment Desk Editor, you will act as the focal point of the newsroom on a daily basis, monitoring breaking news and developments and assigns crews to cover daily news.
- Coordinating and scheduling reporters, photographers and other personnel to cover stories.
- Monitors all police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources, determines if a story is news worthy.
- Story and Series planning, with close coordination of Assignments Manager, Executive Producer, News Director and other members of newsroom management.
- Answer newsroom phones, researching stories, and keeping track of daily activities of a busy newsroom.
- Setting up and coordinating live remotes inside and outside the building.
- Working with reporters, producers and news sources to gather information and develop sources.
- Coordinate with other departments to complete stories and projects.
- Create and coordinate short-range planning to meet department editorial goals.
- Minimum 1 year experience working Assignment Desk, Show producing, field producing or
- General knowledge of television news techniques, including how stories should be covered and assembled
- External applicants must submit a resume/CV through nbcuicareers.com to be considered (Note- job #14361BR).
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and overnights.
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
- Must be 18 years or greater
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Organization and aggressive research skills
- Able to work contacts and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news as well as developing stories.
- Be a self-starter, with good telephone skills, excellent organizational skills, and strong news judgment.
- Must work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of Dallas-Fort Worth market preferred.
Interested candidates can apply on line at www.nbcunicareers.com. The position number is #14361BR. KXAS TV and KXTX TV are Equal Opportunity Employers. NBC DFW Job Hotline (817) 654-6476.