TCC SE Campus Closed Tuesday; Search for Burglar Suspended - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

TCC SE Campus Closed Tuesday; Search for Burglar Suspended

Lock downs lifted at TCC SE campus, Cabaniss Elementary School



    Leaders of Tarrant County College's Southeast Campus made the call to dismiss classes Tuesday after police searched for a burglar armed with a gun near the campus. (Published Tuesday, April 16, 2013)

    Classes were dismissed early at Tarrant County College in Arlington on Tuesday after police say someone broke into a nearby Grand Prairie home and stole a gun.

    Tarrant County College's southeast campus in Arlington and nearby Cabaniss Elementary School in Grand Prairie were placed on lock down Tuesday afternoon, as a precaution, while police searched the area for an armed burglar, police said.

    “After an extensive search with a helicopter and K9 we were unable to locate that suspect,” said Detective Mark Beseda with the Grand Prairie Police Department. “It is possible that suspect was able to make it across [State Highway] 360 to the Tarrant County College Southeast Campus.”

    Both lock downs have since been lifted.

    After tweeting that an armed person was near campus, the college decided shortly after 1 p.m. to suspend classes for the remainder of the day and tweeted the following information:

    The lock downs were implemented after someone reported a burglary at a residence on the 5900 block of Waterford in Grand Prairie. Police added that the burglar may have also stolen rims off of a nearby vehicle.

    Arlington police, K-9 dogs and a police helicopter were called in to assist in the search of a wooded area near state Highway 360 and Webb-Lynn Road.

    Both schools are near the Arlington-Grand Prairie line, which is not far from the site of the burglary and the search.  Officials with both schools decided to lock down the campuses as a precaution only.

    With the TCC campus only about a mile from the location of the burglary the school issued several alerts, including an electronic one that advised students:

    “A TCC SE Campus Emergency LOCKDOWN is in effect - TAKE ACTION NOW - LEAVE IF YOU CAN. If not, STAY in your room or building, TURN OUT lights, CLOSE blinds, LOCK or barricade doors, HIDE under furniture, STAY away from doors and windows, SILENCE your cell phones. Await further instructions.”


    The decision to lock down and cancel classes was TCC's, out of an abundance of caution.

    “The safety of the students is their priority and even if it's a small percentage of a chance that the suspect made it across Highway [360] then they made the right decision,” said Detective Beseda.

    At 12:45 p.m. the search was called off with the burglar still at large. The lock downs were lifted a short time later.

    Classes are expected to resume as scheduled on Wednesday.

    NBC 5's Mola Lenghi contributed to this report.