Fire Scares Nursing Home Residents

By Kendra Lyn
|  Friday, Nov 2, 2012  |  Updated 9:24 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
An early morning fire at a Dallas nursing home woke up residents Friday.  The flames did not damage the building and none of the residents were injured.

Kendra Lyn, NBC 5 News

An early morning fire at a Dallas nursing home woke up residents Friday. The flames did not damage the building and none of the residents were injured.

advertisement

An early morning fire at a Dallas nursing home woke up residents Friday.

The fire started at about 4:30 a.m. at the Treemont Nursing and Rehab Center at 5500 Harvest Hill Road and Montfort Drive.

The fire investigator said a cigarette in the designated smoking area, just outside the kitchen, likely started the fire in a chair and spread to the building. He has ruled the fire an accident.

The fire investigator told police he was patrolling the parking lot, looking for stolen cars, when he spotted the fire and tried to put it out quickly.

There is a fire station down the street from the nursing home. Crews arrived and helped minimize the damage to the outside of the building.

The air conditioning unit sucked up the smoke and mad it hard for some residents to breathe in the nearby independent living building.

There are about 100 residents in the nursing and all are OK. Many were woken up early by the sounding alarms.

A few residents decided to evacuate on their own to the main building.

An ambulance is on stand-by with oxygen, just in case anyone needs it.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out