Making a Run for 100° Before the End of July

100-degree-days-July-072819
NBC 5 Weather

S Band Radar & Maps | Forecast | Weather Alerts
Traffic | Send Us a Photo/Video | Live Cams

We are in the final days of July and our afternoon temperatures are hovering right around 100 degrees. We are making one more run at our first official 100-degree day of the year. Upper-level high pressure is once again moving toward North Texas. With that ridge comes the core of our summer heat.

Keep in mind that we normally get to the century mark around July 1. This year, however, we've gone almost the entire month of July without getting to triple digits at DFW Airport.

As of Tuesady afternoon at 2:27 PM CDT, we have our first 100 degree day of the year at DFW Airport. But that doesn't mean we're necessaritly in for a long streak of days at or above 100 degrees. Looking at the temperature records for DFW, we stand a very good chance of seeing fewer days at or above 100 degrees the rest of the year. If we see zero, one or two 100-degree readings in July, there is a 72% chance we will have a total of five or fewer 100-degree days for the rest of the year! There’s only a 15% chance we would have between six and 11 100-degree days and a 13% chance we'd have 12 or more the remainder of the year.

Bottom line, the chances are in our favor to not have to deal with very many days with highs of 100 degrees or hotter the rest of the year.

Latest Video Forecast

The latest video forecast from NBC DFW's team of Weather Experts will appear in the player above. Keep up with the latest changes to the weather by downloading the NBC DFW smartphone App for iOS and Android!

Read the latest forecast information from NBC 5's team of Weather Experts here.

Before the Storm
Weather Safety
Stay Safe During a Hail Storm
 
At Home?
  • Head indoors immediately
  • If time allows, close all drapes, blinds or shades to prevent broken glass from entering your home.
  • Stay away from windows and skylights (any exterior glass) and head to a safe location inside your home, ideally only with interior walls.
Outdoors?
  • Cover your head and seek shelter indoors immediately.
  • If you are trapped outside, get to a low-lying area and try to protect your head. Use clothing if it's all you have.
Driving?
  • Stay inside your vehicle.
  • Slow down or pull over and stop at a safe location. DO NOT stop under a highway overpass. You may be protecting your vehicle, but you could be forcing other people to stop behind you.
  • Turn your back to windows or cover yourself with a blanket, coat or spare clothing to protect yourself from breaking glass.
  • If you have a sunroof, try to find something to protect your head.

 


Interactive Radar
Interactive Radar
S-Band Radar
NBC 5 S-Band
Dallas County Radar
Dallas County
Tarrant County Radar
Tarrant County
Collin County Radar
Collin County
Denton County Radar
Denton County
Ellis, Johnson County Radar
Ellis, Johnson Co.
Rainfall Totals
Rainfall Totals

Contact Us