Mom: Dad Tossed Infant's Body Into Lake - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Mom: Dad Tossed Infant's Body Into Lake

Missing infant's mom, dad arrested on suspicion of tampering with evidence



    Mom: Dad Tossed Infant's Body Into Lake
    Dallas police issued an Amber Alert for 8-month-old Daisja Weaver on Wednesday morning.

    Police are searching Lake Lewisville, where a missing infant's mother told police the father tossed their child's body, according to an arrest affidavit.

    Tamaira Creagh, 19, originally told police that 9-month-old Daisja Weaver was kidnapped late Tuesday night after she fought off a sexual assault in her apartment in the 5800 block of Preston Oaks.

    The child's father, Alandus Weaver, Jr., 20, told police he was moving the family's belonging to a new apartment when the attack happened.

    Police said Creagh could not provide a detailed description of the attacker.

    Mom: Dad Tossed Infant's Body Into Lake

    [DFW] Mom: Dad Tossed Infant's Body Into Lake
    The mother of a missing infant says the child's father tossed the baby's body into Lake Lewisville.
    (Published Tuesday, June 16, 2009)

    Investigators said they became suspicious and questioned Creagh and Weaver early Wednesday morning after the couple gave them inconsistent accounts of what happened. That's when detectives read Weaver and Creagh their Miranda warnings.

    According to the search warrant affidavit, police wanted to search the couple's apartment for the baby's body, blood or other possible evidence "constituting injury to a child."

    Police searched the couple's new apartment in the 18000 block of Marsh Lane and found blood and other possible evidence indicating there was injury to a child.

    Father of Missing Baby Arrested

    [DFW] Father of Missing Baby Arrested
    Police have arrested the father of a missing 9-month-old girl on suspicion of tampering with evidence, meanwhile his family is standing by him.
    (Published Monday, June 15, 2009)

    A detective also overheard Weaver telling Creagh that she should not have signed paperwork allowing police to search the apartment because there was blood inside, according to the affidavit. The detective said Weaver talked to Creagh "in a very threatening manner."

    Creagh, accompanied by an attorney, came forward Saturday morning and told police that Daisja had been killed, according to an arrest affidavit.

    She told investigators Weaver had been watching the baby while she was at work on June 8. But when he picked her up, Daisja wasn't with him, she said. When she asked where Daisja was, Weaver told her he had given the baby a bath and left her at home alone, Creagh said.

    Creagh told police the baby was wrapped in a towel on the floor when they arrived back at the apartment. She started performing CPR after she found Daisja cold to the touch and without a heartbeat.

    When she asked Weaver what happened, he became threatening and violent and then blocked her attempt to call police, according to the affidavit.

    She said Weaver told her they had to stick together and say the child had been kidnapped.

    After Creagh got off from work Tuesday, Weaver made her ride to Lake Lewisville with him, she told police. Creagh said he stopped on a bridge, tied Daisja's body to a sandbag and dropped her into the lake.

    Creagh told police she complied because she is six months pregnant with his child and she was afraid of what he might do to her.       

    Police have not rescinded the Amber Alert they issued Wednesday because they have found no physical evidence that Daisja is dead.

    Authorities began searching Lake Lewisville on Sunday.

    "We've not found any body, we will remain hopeful the child is alive. We want very much to get her back happy and healthy and fine," said Dallas police Lt. C.L. Williams.

    On Sunday, the day before the arrest affidavit was released, Weaver's uncle, Rudy Oliver, accused Creagh of acting suspiciously.

    "She's been lying from day one, so why start believing her now?" Oliver asked. "I think she had something to do with it, and she let her family know, but they are not telling us. They're trying to get her out of trouble."

    Oliver said Sunday he doesn't think Daisja is dead.

    "I believe that she's still alive, and I believe that they know where she is," he said.

    Also Sunday, Weaver's father said he believes his son is innocent.

    Weaver was being held Sunday with bond set at $100,000. No information was available on an attorney who could comment on Weaver's behalf, according to the jail.  He is also being held on an outstanding warrant out of Richardson, police said.

    An attorney representing Creagh said Monday that even though his client is cooperating with Dallas police, "Law enforcement personnel have erroneously made her a suspect as opposed to the victim and witness that she actually is."

    Click here to read the arrest affidavit.