Northbound Interstate 35E will be intermittently closed at Illinois Avenue overnight for beam setting operations.
All lanes of northbound I-35E at Illinois Avenue will be closed overnight from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. The intermittent closures will last approximately 15 minutes during this closure timeframe.
Drivers should expect significant delays and plan their commutes in advance during the scheduled closures, TxDOT said.
The construction activities and lane closures are subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
The latest news from around North Texas.
The construction activities are part of the Southern Gateway Project, a $666 million design-build construction project by the Texas Department of Transportation. The project aims to rebuild and widen I-35E south of downtown Dallas, as well as widen U.S. 67 between I-35E and I-20 and the I-35E/U.S. 67 split.
Construction will also include building two reversible, non-tolled express lanes.
The goal of the 11-mile project is to improve safety, provide congestion relief, address roadway deficiencies and improve system linkage, TxDOT said.
Expect major traffic delays in Grapevine this weekend. Bridge demolition and a traffic switch will force several closures.
Construction crews will begin the demolition of the old southbound Farm-to-Market Road 2499 bridge and shift traffic on northbound Texas 121 as part of the Interstate-635/Texas 121 Interchange project.
Following the completion of the traffic switch, northbound Texas 121 will be put into its final configuration and additional lanes will be available for use to alleviate congestion in the area. This will also allow crews to further advance work in the area.
The following closures are needed to safely conduct the work:
Southbound FM 2499 bridge demolition from 8 p.m. Friday, March 19 to 6 a.m. Monday, March 22:
- Full closure of northbound Texas 26 from Grapevine Mills Trail to FM 2499. Traffic will be detoured to Bass Pro Drive, then the northbound Texas 121 frontage road to Sandy Lake Road.
- Full closure on southbound FM 2499 to Texas 26. Traffic will be detoured at Stars and Stripes Way to Texas 26.
- Full ramp closure on southbound Texas 121 off-ramp to Bass Pro Drive. Traffic will be detoured to the southbound Texas 121 frontage road, then Texas 26.
Northbound Texas 121 traffic switch from 8 p.m. Friday, March 19 to 6 a.m. Monday, March 22:
- Full closure of northbound Texas 121 north of DFW Airport. Traffic will be detoured to the northbound Texas 121 frontage road.
- Full ramp closure on westbound I-635 off-ramp to northbound Texas 121. Traffic will be detoured to Bass Pro Drive.
- Full ramp closure on northbound Texas 26 off-ramp to northbound Texas 121. Traffic will be detoured to Bass Pro Drive, then the northbound Texas 121 on-ramp at Sandy Lake Road.
- Full ramp closure on northbound Texas 121 on-ramp at the northbound Texas 121 frontage road. Traffic will be detoured to the on-ramp at Sandy Lake Road.
- Full closure on northbound auxiliary lanes off-ramp to northbound Texas 121. Traffic will be detoured to Grapevine Mills Boulevard, then the on-ramp at Sandy Lake Road.
Eastbound I-20 from Winscott Road to Bryant Irvin Road will be reduced to one lane Sunday, March 21 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
North and southbound Bellaire Drive at I-20 will be closed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, March 19 for bridge construction.