SWAT Officers End Standoff Following Chase Into Arlington

Driver suspected in Colleyville Bank of America robbery earlier in the day

SWAT officers peacefully ended a standoff Wednesday afternoon with a suspected bank robber who led police on a chase from Colleyville to Arlington.[[351448601,R]]

At about 12:30 p.m., officers with guns drawn positioned themselves behind the doors of their patrol vehicles during a standoff with a driver in Arlington suspected of robbing a Bank of America branch in Colleyville earlier in the day.

Robert Hinton, Assistant Chief of Police in Colleyville, told NBC 5 that at 11:40 a.m. a man entered the Bank of America on Texas 26 and gave a teller a note that said he had a gun and wanted money.

The teller turned over the cash and the man ran out, got in a nearby vehicle and drove away. Moments later Colleyville officers spotted a vehicle traveling at a high speed that matched the description of the vehicle at the bank.

Along the way the driver ignored stop signs and red lights, at times driving in the wrong direction, while attempting to evade police. Grand Prairie police officers deployed stop sticks, which disabled at least one of the tires on the SUV.

The man continued to drive, leading at least a half-dozen marked police cars into Arlington where he eventually slowed to a stop on the 600 block of Southeast Green Oaks Boulevard, in front of Ferguson Education Center.

Arlington SWAT officers arrived with two armored vehicles shortly after 1 p.m. and continued to negotiate the man's surrender. A short time later, the man exited the SUV and surrendered to police.

Police sources said the man, whose name has not yet been released, is believed to have lived in the area according to the vehicle's registration information.

Lt. Christopher Cook, with the Arlington Police Department, said a family member of the driver helped negotiate the surrender.

Due to the proximity of the standoff to the school, 500 students were advised to shelter in place as the campus was locked down as a precaution. After the driver was taken into custody the lock down was lifted.

Whether or not the driver was armed has not yet been confirmed by police.

Arlington SWAT ends a standoff peacefully; Lt. Christopher Cook with the Arlington police talks about what led to the surrender and Colleyville Assistant Chief Robert Hinton talks about a robbery at a Bank of America believed to be connected.

Southeast Green Oaks Boulevard, which had been closed in both directions between Matlock Road and Collins Street, is expected to soon be reopened to traffic.

Arlington police said Colleyville police will be investigating the chase while the FBI is investigating the bank robbery.

Check back and refresh this page for the latest update. As this story is developing, elements may change.NBC 5's Scott Gordon, Don Peritz,Tim Ciesco and Johnny Archer contributed to this report.

Contact Us