Father in Amber Alert Case Denies Assault Allegation - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Father in Amber Alert Case Denies Assault Allegation



    Marquis Drawhorn, the father at the center of an Amber Alert Wednesday night, is talking about the charges he evaded arrest and assaulted his wife. (Published Friday, March 1, 2013)

    A Dallas father arrested after an Amber Alert was issued for his 6-year-old son Wednesday night says he was at church and had no idea police were searching for them.

    A statewide Amber Alert was issued Wednesday night for 6-year-old Marquis Drawhorn Jr. Police said Marquis Drawhorn Sr. abducted the boy after assaulting his wife.

    The boy was found safe Wednesday night.

    Drawhorn, 25, is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and evading arrest.

    He said in a jailhouse interview Friday that a bitter ex is the reason for his arrest.

    "I just hurt her, and she is just scorned right now, so maybe this is her way getting back at me," he said.

    Drawhorn said he and his wife are in the midst of a messy separation. The two were at her mother's house Wednesday evening when things went downhill, he said.

    "We got there; her brothers were there. They had knives, both of them -- two big ones," he said.

    Police said Drawhorn threatened to kill his relatives and himself, before assaulting his wife and taking their son.

    "I'm not threatening anyone -- they got the knives," Drawhorn said.

    Drawhorn said he took his son to McDonald's and then to church at New Leaf Family Church. He said he did not kidnap his son, saying his estranged wife was willing to trade him their son for their truck.

    "All he wanted was some McDonald's. That's all he wanted was McDonald's, so I kept my promise. I took him to McDonald's, and we went to church," he said.

    Drawhorn said he would never do anything to hurt his son.

    His pastor confirmed that Drawhorn was there. The pastor described Drawhorn as a very active participant in Bible study.

    Drawhorn was arrested at about 9:30 p.m. after a brief standoff. He barricaded himself in a home at 8020 Rothington Road but voluntarily surrendered to authorities at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.