More Than Pink Walk

Saturday, October 3

NBCUniversal, Inc.

Join NBC 5 for the More Than Pink Walk!

Susan G. Komen invites individuals to join the virtual More than Pink Walk on Saturday, October 3, from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. The event will focus on celebrating the fundraising efforts and recognition of survivors and those living with metastatic breast cancer. Participants will learn about the impact of Komen’s research, public policy advocacy and direct patient support services.

This year's Honorary Chair Jennifer Wersal, a 20-year breast cancer survivor sees the progress made through the years.

"I was thinking about that recently, and those who are diagnosed now, even with the same diagnosis, the treatment is totally different. Because of research and things like that, treatments are very targeted," Wersal said. "Where I did maybe two kinds of chemo then a follow up drug, somebody now might have no surgery and take pill. It's all very, very personalized which is wonderful."

The More Than Pink Walk creates an environment where women can put aside everything else in their lives and focus on sharing their stories, space and laughter. It is one of Komen’s signature fundraising events which kicks off with a 1 mile or 2.8-mile walk.

This year, the event will take place across virtual platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This will ensure the health and safety of the More Than Pink Walk participants and follow social distancing guidelines in the midst of the pandemic.

Wersal sees an upside to the virtual format.

"You can walk wherever you are. You can walk when you want to. You can sleep in, if you want, too. Some bonuses I thought of, you don't have to worry about parking. for those of you who were around about 18-19 years ago, you don't have to worry about porta potties not showing up on time. That was a big day," Wersal chuckled.

Wersal says even virtually, there is a chance for participants to celebrate important people in their life. Many will wear a piece of paper pinned to their shirts as a tribute to those who've inspired them. Wersal's card will list at least dozen. She shared those names with NBC5 and their significance in her life.

2020 More Than Pink Walk Honorary Chair Jennifer Wersal explains the list of women who inspire her.

Karen Kuczek: She and I met when we both started chemo at the same time 'chemo buddies'.

Betty Nethery: long-time Komen volunteer

Caren Cook: Diagnosed a couple of years after me and we share a birthday; met when she was a team fundraiser for Komen.

Becky Reese: fellow Aledo class of 2020 mom

Anna Pamplin: Komen volunteer who was diagnosed this year and is currently in treatment

Angie Hamilton: sweet neighbor and mom of 3 girls

Elizabeth Edmonson: Komen volunteer and wonderful singer!

Anita Bosworth: Family friend and fellow survivor

Ali Wise: Long-time Komen Race/Walk participant

Katherine Stephens: Survivor and community volunteer in the breast cancer realm

Cathey Wilson: long-time friend and former co-worker

Support and fellowship is a big part of the Komen event with fundraising right along side it. The goal for the 2020 Komen Greater Fort Worth Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk™ is $500,000.

To receive the full experience and participate in the virtual event, individuals must download the More Than Pink Walk mobile app. From there, participants are encouraged to venture off on their neighborhood sidewalks to earn their Virtual Finisher Medal. In order to do so, they will walk 6,000 steps for their commitment to end breast cancer. To register, click here.

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, click here.

Susan G. Komen Greater Fort Worth
More Than Pink Walk

Virtual Event
Saturday, October 3
8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Register: http://www.info-komen.org/site/TR?fr_id=8285&pg=entry

Contact Us