Kim Fischer, NBCDFW.com
Nine families in North Dallas are forced out of their homes just days before christmas because of fire.
At least six families are without homes after an electrical fire Thursday at their North Dallas apartment complex.
The fire began just after 11 a.m. at Forest Park Village Apartments in the 3400 block of Forest Lane.
Firefighters said smoke was coming from the overhang between the second and third floors when they arrived.
"We don't know exactly how many are damaged but, unfortunately, with most apartments, when you have fire damage, you're also going to have smoke and water damage," Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans.
A resident smelled smoke coming from the building and informed management. When the maintenance crew couldn't find the source, they called 911.
Everyone was safely evacuated from the apartments.
"We walked out because it was foggy in the house," Corey Moore said.
Moore said they dark black smoke started coming out of an apartment a few doors down.
The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.
Fire investigators said an electrical short in the walls between two apartments on the second floor caused the blaze.
The fire caused $152,500 worth of damage, Dallas Fire-Rescue said.