Gasoline on Grill Caused Dallas Apartment Complex Fire

Fire began after resident used gasoline on grill, fire officials say

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Firefighters were still battling hot spots after a 3-alarm fire at the Huntingbrook Apartments Monday afternoon. A tenant told firefighters he was using gasoline to start a barbecue on the deck of his apartment, which is illegal.

    Editor's Note: A previous version of this article reported the fire was a four-alarm fire. NBC 5 regrets the error.

    Firefighters battled a fire caused by gasoline on a barbecue grill at a far northeast Dallas apartment complex on Monday afternoon.

    Firefighters were called to the Huntingbrook Apartments at Audelia Road and Amberly Drive, north of Interstate 635 and east of Richland College, at 1:20 p.m.

    Illegal Use of a Barbecue to Blame for Apartment Fire

    [DFW] Illegal Use of a Barbecue to Blame for Apartment Fire
    Firefighters were still battling hot spots after a 3-alarm fire at the Huntingbrook Apartments Monday afternoon. A tenant told firefighters he was using gasoline to start a barbecue on the deck of his apartment, which is illegal.

    The fire began in a first-floor apartment where an occupant grilling on his patio used gasoline to light the grill, Dallas Fire-Rescue said.

    The occupant sustained some minor burn injuries but did not want to be taken to a hospital for further evaluation, fire officials said.

    Fire crews saw lots of smoke and fire coming out of the roof of the two-story building when they arrived.

    Six units out of the 12 apartments in the building were damaged. Four were damaged by four, and two were damaged by smoke and water.

    The American Red Cross helped three families with clothing, shoes, groceries, bedding and more. The group said it would meet with other families who need assistance but were not home at the time of the fire.

    NBC 5's Frank Heinz and Randy McIlwain contributed to this report.