A Texas woman was burned over 90 percent of her body when her wheelchair caught fire Thursday morning, McKinney firefighters said.[[301824441,C]]
The woman called 911 and told authorities her wheelchair was on fire in her home at the Saxon Woods Apartments.
Authorities said she was still on fire when they arrived.
Paramedics transported the woman by medical helicopter to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. She was responsive when she was transported, according to McKinney Fire Department spokeswoman Stacie Durham.
The woman, in her 60s, suffered burns to 90 percent of her body.
Firefighters administered oxygen to the victim's small dog, which authorities said they expect to be OK.
The latest news from around North Texas.
The cause if the fire, which was contained to the victim's apartment on the 4400 block of West Eldorado Parkway, is still under investigation, but authorities said it was not electrical.
Durham said the woman was a smoker and had an oxygen tank.
A spokesperson for the victim's apartment complex released the following statement:
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim and her family during this incredibly difficult time. We are working diligently with the authorities as they investigate today’s tragic accident. At this time, the Fire Department believes the fire started due to a combination of cigarettes and an oxygen tank. The fire was contained within the victim’s unit, and we are thankful that no other residents were injured. -- Stephen Ursery, The Wilbert Group
NBC 5's Josh Ault contributed to this report.