Suspects Held Down, Fatally Stabbed Good Samaritan: Police

Two in custody for involvement in stabbing victim's death

Dallas police said they have two suspects in custody who allegedly held, beat and then fatally stabbed a good Samaritan who was trying to break up a fight along Greenville Avenue.

Dallas police said Terrell Cowherd, 26, was trying to break up a fight that was taking place in the middle of the street at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday morning on the 2000 block of Greenville Ave. Cowherd was at a hookah bar called Kush with his girlfriend and a fraternity brother.

"Mr. Cowherd took it upon himself to intervene and try to break up the fight," said Maj. Jeff Kotner, with the Dallas Police Department. "He is de-escalating the fight. He is a good Samaritan, he is trying to get everyone to rationalize and go about their business."

Police said 23-year-old Julian Terence Martin, Jr. first hit Cowherd, then pulled a knife out of his pocket and began stabbing Cowherd repeatedly. Dallas police said Martin turned himself in Sunday after a family friend recognized his picture from television news reports on Saturday evening. He is being held on $250,000 bond.

Police said another man, Jerry Brown, Jr., held Cowherd from behind and punched him while he was stabbed. Brown was found a block away from the scene and had to be treated for a lacerated hand at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas. In an arrest warrant affidavit, police said he admitted that he struck Cowherd and knew the complainant was dying.

Cowherd was taken to Baylor Medical Center in Dallas, where he was pronounced deceased Saturday. 

Many witnesses to the stabbing recorded the incident on cell phone cameras.

"We have video of the event we can’t show, but certainly it's compelling and certainly it's graphic," Kotner said. Dallas police released video of the incident on YouTube.

Family Mourns Death of Stabbing Victim

The father of Terrell Cowherd said his son was a man who loved God, cared about humanity and loved people.

Cowherd’s family arrived in Dallas Sunday afternoon to claim his body and take care of his affairs. At his son's apartment, Terrence Cowherd, Sr., said he's never been tested like this. With a tattered Bible on the table in front of him, Terrence Cowherd, Sr., spoke of a son who was about to make a difference in the world.

Terrell Cowherd was on the Dean's List at Prairie View A&M, where he earned his engineering degree. He was now working for an energy company in Dallas and was engaged to be married.

"He always said, 'Dad and Mom, thank you for everything,'” recalled Cowherd. “'Thank you for all you've given me, thank you for all you've done.'  And you know what I would say to him? 'Thank you, son.'"

Cowherd said on the top of his mind is how his son died so pointlessly. He said he'll have a tough time forgiving the two men charged with his son's murder.

"There is no way they should ever, ever see the light of day again,” said Cowherd. “This could be your brother, your sister, your mother, your daughter. You're just going to come out and snuff somebody's life out who's never done anything to anybody in his life."

Cowherd said he feels some comfort knowing his son is at peace and even though he only lived 26 years, he lived them to the fullest.

Luminant Releases Statement on Cowherd's Death

As an engineer for Luminant, Cowherd prepared mine permits for the Texas Railroad Commission. On Sunday evening, the Dallas-based company issued this statement:

We are extremely saddened by the tragic death this weekend of Luminant employee Terrell Cowherd.

The Dallas Police Department reports Cowherd, age 26, was stabbed to death early Saturday morning while trying to defuse a street altercation in Dallas.  Police made one arrest Saturday and on Sunday announced a second arrest of the man they believe did the stabbing and charged him with murder.

Kim Mireles, vice president of environmental services at Luminant, worked with Cowherd and said she was shocked at learning of the death of one of her team members, “He was known as one of the kindest and friendliest people on our staff, always smiling and cordial, “ she said. “It is not surprising that Terrell interceded in an altercation to calm the situation. Terrell exuded leadership qualities at a very young age,” she added.

“He’ll be missed by everyone who knew him, particularly his Luminant family,” Mireles said.

Cowherd began what would have been a long and fruitful career with Luminant on November 5, 2012. A graduate in civil engineering from Prairie View A&M University, he came to Luminant after being employed with the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. He was employed with Luminant as an associate engineer for environmental services in the mining department and had the lead for preparing and submitting mine permits to the Railroad Commission of Texas for the company’s Monticello and Thermo Mines.

In learning of the death of Cowherd, Luminant chief executive officer Mac McFarland said, “Although we’re a company of 4,400 employees doing many different jobs at our plants and mines across the state as we provide electric power for Texas, we’re still a family and feel a deep sense of loss from Terrell’s death. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family,” said McFarland.

“As we all grieve, I also want express my thanks on behalf of all Luminant employees to Chief David Brown and the Dallas Police Department for their fine work in quickly making arrests,” added McFarland.

NBC 5's Mark Schnyder and Chris Van Horne contributed to this report.

Contact Us