Inmate Shot at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport

A Tulsa County, Okla., sheriff's deputy shot a prison inmate inside a men's restroom at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport on Friday evening, authorities say.

The deputy was accompanying the prisoner during an extradition from Utah to Oklahoma when the two got into an altercation in a restroom in Terminal C while waiting for their connecting flight at about 5 p.m.

The prisoner, identified as 34-year-old Brent James Taff, emerged from a bathroom stall and began assaulting the deputy, striking him numerous times in the face and head, according to a statement from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office.

The deputy shot Taff in the hand and the thigh, and Taff then ran from the restroom toward the C10 security checkpoint.

***WARNING SOME MAY FIND THIS IMAGE GRAPHIC - Click Here for Witness Photo of Prisoner Shot at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport***

A second deputy who was stationed outside the restroom tackled Taff, and DFW airport police along with TSA officials helped her get the prisoner under control.

"There was a lot of blood. The guy collapsed, then they came and rushed him and told everyone to move and step back," said David Villegas, who witnessed some of the scene.

The prisoner and injured deputy were transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment of their injuries, according to a statement from the airport.

The deputy was released from the hostpital Saturday at 2 a.m. and is in fair condition, according to Major Clark, the Public Information Officer for Tulsa County. Three deputies were sent Friday night, and they will all be returning to Oklahoma Saturday afternoon.

Fort Worth Police took over gaurding the prisoner. Dallas County will take over gaurding the prisoner on Saturday afternoon. Oklahoma deputies will not be guarding the prisoner.

Major Clark says that Taff's injuries are non-life threatening, but he is expected to be in the hospital for a long period of time due to the severe damage to his hand.

No one else was injured.

DFW Airport police closed the area near the C10 security checkpoint as part of the investigation.

American Airlines, the only carrier with flights operating in Terminal C, said a few flights were delayed by no more than 15 minutes, and by 6:30 p.m. all operations were back to normal.

Authorities said Taff has a lengthy criminal history dating back to May 1996, including numerous arrests for violation of a protective order. Most recently, Taff was arrested in October 2014 for violation of a protective order, stalking, kidnapping and threatening violent acts.

And in January he was accused of threatening to kill a judge, an assistant district attorney and his soon to be ex-wife, according to court documents.

Taff will be facing charges in Texas before heading back to Oklahoma because the shooting happened in Texas. Along with state charges, Taff could face federal charges as well since the shooting happened at the airport. All of the charges are still pending.

Other deputies arrived in Dallas Friday evening from Tulsa to guard the suspect in the hospital and transport him back when he is released.

NBC 5's Scott Gordon, Bianca Castro, Ray Villeda and Ben Russell contributed to this report.

Contact Us