Fort Worth

Residents Told to Lock Doors Near Fort Worth Officer Shooting

Residents in the area near where a Fort Worth police officer was injured in a deadly shootout with two gunmen Tuesday were told to lock their doors while police searched for the second gunman.[[372146952, R]]

Police arrested Ed Russell McIver Jr., 20, at about 6:30 p.m. – nearly two hours after the officer's shooting near Longvue Avenue and Chapin Road.

"The police told me to get in the house and lock the doors and stay inside," said neighbor Lore Arena. "They said there's a man loose who shot a policeman."

Police told residents McIver was likely hiding out in the area and that he may shoot again.

"It's scary because you don't know if they're going to try and hide out, or force their way into your house, or shoot again," said Arena.

Photos: Manhunt After Fort Worth Police Officer Shot

Residents said there are a lot of places to hide.

"There's sheds, there's creeks, there's just old stuff, big piles of wood," said Annette Frost.

"We do have a lot of trees and bushes and fences, so you could hide easily out here," said Arena.

Fort Worth Chief of Police Joel Fitzgerald said officers are not searching for anyone else following McIver's arrest Tuesday evening.

The manhunt came to an end when a Fort Worth Police SWAT unit closed in on McIver Jr. in the woods. McIver was still attempting to hide, officers say, but he was "captured without incident" by police.

McIver Jr. was not hurt, and investigators were questioning him about the deadly shootout.

Meanwhile, crime scene investigators were still processing the McIvers' vehicle late Tuesday and checking for other weapons.

A Fort Worth police officer is in critical condition after a shootout Tuesday killed a suspect and led to the arrest of a second man following a manhunt.

For the hundreds of people who live in the two-mile search zone, the uncertainty was nerve-wracking.

Scott Bagg was at work, but his sons, ages 16 and 11 years old, were home alone, relaxing on spring break.

"My heart just started pounding really hard. It was like, 'That's right next to the house!'" Bagg said. "I got to go home, I got to make sure my kids are safe."

Bagg had trouble for a while making it back home because police weren't letting anyone inside the perimeter for their own safety. Bagg called his kids to check on them.

"I tell you the first thing I did was say, 'Hey, lock the doors, there's a manhunt going on,'" he said.

The older of the two men involved in a shootout with police, Ed Russel McIver Sr., had a long history of run-ins with police in Parker County.

At about 7 p.m. Bagg made another phone call – the one he'd been hoping to make.

"Hey, Parker, it's dad. Just wanted to let you know they caught the guy. He's in custody," Bagg said, breathing a heavy sigh of relief.

That's when other homeowners unlocked their doors and came outside.

"Channel 5 said they captured him and I said let me run out there and go see," said Beverly Owen.

Owen had dead-bolted all her doors and stayed away from the windows.

"It's a relief that you know that he's caught and we can sleep peaceful tonight, and don't have to worry about it," she said. "And I'm so thankful no other officer was hurt tonight trying to arrest that man. They were all here trying to protect us."

Contact Us