Parents, Activists Concerned When School was Not Evacuated for Gas Leak

Dallas Fire and Rescue crews responded to a gas leak at South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas on Tuesday morning, but the way school officials handled it has parents upset.

Firefighters say the gas leak was reported in the boiler room. Despite the leak, classes remained in session.

"That is hazardous to their health and I'm very frustrated," said Kema McDonald, a parent picking up her child from school. "My daughter didn't know because she didn't call me. They didn't inform the kids because when something happens, my daughter would call me."

Representatives from the NAACP and the Next Generation Action Network also raised their concerns at a press conference outside the school.

"Your first decision and your first obligation as an educator is to make sure the safety and the health of these children are always your main priority," said Next Generation Action Network President Dominique Alexander.

In a response, Dallas ISD officials released a statement that read: 

"Today, out of an abundance of caution, Dallas Fire & Rescue and Dallas ISD maintenance staff were called to South Oak Cliff High School to investigate a potential gas leak on the campus. Gas service was shut off while a thorough review was conducted. During the review, the school was advised by Dallas Fire & Rescue that an evacuation was not necessary. The class schedule was adjusted to ensure that all students received lunch. Lunches were delivered to the campus and the remainder of the students were served. Following the lunch period the campus resumed normal operations." 

A letter was sent home with students and a copy of the letter will be placed on the school’s website.

No one at the school needed medical attention.

Contact Us