The Lone Star Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences awarded NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth / KXAS and Telemundo 39 / KXTX a total of 36 Lone Star Emmy Awards during the 15th annual awards gala held on Saturday, November 11 in San Antonio.
NBC 5 and Telemundo 39 were awarded an Emmy in the “Community Service” category in recognition of their collaborative work on Clear the Shelters, an annual pet adoption campaign that has found homes for more than 23,500 pets in North Texas since its 2014 local launch. Since the campaign’s national expansion in 2015, it has placed more than 150,000 animals in loving homes across the country.
NBC 5 received an additional 19 Emmy awards across a variety of categories including “Morning” and “Weekend Newscasts” and in the “Investigative Report – Single Story” category for their report “Big Buses, Bigger Problems: The Land Deal.” The station also received two honors in the category “News Promo – Single Spot” for their promos “State of Mind” and “Texas Storm Fleet.”
The latest news from around North Texas.
“Our news professionals strive to deliver meaningful and authentic stories that North Texans can connect with daily,” said Tom Ehlmann, NBC 5 President and General Manager. “It is an honor to be recognized year after year by our peers in Texas for the amazing journalistic work our teams do every day.”
In addition to the “Community Service” award, Telemundo 39 received 16 Emmy awards across various categories including their third consecutive win in the “News Excellence” category. The Lone Star Chapter also recognized the station’s weather and sports programming with a win in the “News Weathercast” category for KXTX’s weekend weather updates presented by Meteorologist Milmar Ramirez, as well as three awards in the “Sportscast,” “Sports Reporter” and “One-Time Special” categories.
“I am proud of the hard work our team does in the newsroom. They work tirelessly to inform our viewers and are deserving of the recognition they’ve earned,” said John Trevino, Telemundo 39 President and General Manager. “We hold our reporting to the highest journalistic standards and receiving an Emmy award in ‘News Excellence’ for the third year in a row demonstrates our team’s dedication to uphold these standards.”
Both stations received Emmy awards in the “Breaking News” category. NBC 5 won for “Tragedy in Dallas: The July 7th Ambush” and Telemundo 39 was recognized for its coverage on “Balacera En North Lake.”
Below is the full list of wins for NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth and Telemundo 39 Dallas-Fort Worth:
NBC 5 and Telemundo 39 Dallas-Fort Worth:
- Community Service: “Clear The Shelters”: Nada J. Ruddock, NBC 5 Vice President Community Affairs and Arturo Sobarzo, Telemundo 39 Director of Marketing
NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth:
- Newscast - Mornings/Daytime - Larger Markets (1-25): “Severe Storms Hit North Texas”: Patricia E. Zamarripa, Producer; Marc Mahacek, Director; Nataly Torres, Associate Producer; Marc Fein, Anchor; Deborah Ferguson, Anchor; Theresa Griesedieck, Associate Producer
- Newscast – Weekend: “NBC 5 News at 10”: Janeen Duckett-Hall, Producer
- Breaking News: “Tragedy in Dallas: The July 7th Ambush”: Ashley Lowell, Producer; Michael Wortham, Producer; Kristi Nelson, Anchor; Bianca Castro, Anchor; Cory Smith, Reporter; Donald Peritz, Jr., Reporter; Kevin Stewart, Photojournalist; Juan Rodriguez, Photojournalist
- Spot News: “Larry Collins, Field Producer”: Nataly Torres, Producer; Deborah Ferguson, Anchor; Roy Hernandez, Photojournalist
- Investigative Report - Single Story: “Big Buses, Bigger Problems: The Land Deal” NBC 5 Investigates - Eva Parks, Investigative Producer; Scott Friedman, Senior Investigative Reporter; Jose Sanchez, Photographer
- Health/Science - News Single Story/Feature: “Dr. Jan”: Kristopher Gutierrez, Reporter and Mike Richard, Photojournalist
- Health/Science - News Series: “Tiny Miracle”: Noelle Walker, Reporter; Jose Sanchez, Photojournalist; Ryan Oliveira, Photojournalist
- Human Interest - News Series: “Overcoming Obstacles”: Kristopher Gutierrez, Reporter
- Human Interest - News Single Story: “Second Chances”: Noelle Walker, Reporter and Mike Richard, Photojournalist
- Specialty Assignment Report - News Single Story/Series/Feature: “The Borderland Project”: Kristopher Gutierrez, Reporter; Mike Heimbuch, photojournalist; Peter Hull, Photojournalist
- Weather - News Single Story/Series/Feature: “He Didn't Die Alone”: Lyle Davis, Photojournalist and Kristin Dickerson, Reporter
- Promotion - News Promo - Single Spot: “State Of Mind”: Nicholas Muthersbaugh, Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/VFX Cinematographer; Adrian Dominguez, Cinematographer
- Promotion - News Promo - Single Spot: “Texas Storm Fleet”: Gary Wann, Writer; Arus Manning, Director/Editor/Producer/VFX; Adrian Dominguez, Editor/Cinematographer; Steve Lemonds, Assistant Camera/Editor; Nicholas Muthersbaugh, Production Assistant/Grip; Carisma Ramsey, Producer; Daniel Sontag, Producer; Ashish Banthia, VFX
- News Producer: “More Than Meets The Eye”: Ashley Lowell, Producer
- Talent - Anchor – News: “God Bless Texas”: Kris Gutierrez, News Anchor
- Talent - Anchor – Sports: “Cowboys, Cops, Weed and Newy”: Newy Scruggs, Sports Director/Anchor
- Talent - Reporter – Live: “Living the Live Life”: Ben Russell, Reporter
- Photographer – News: “Ryan’s Composite”: Ryan Oliveira, Photojournalist
- Writer – News: “Variations On 26 Letters”: Noelle Walker, Writer
Telemundo 39 Dallas-Fort Worth:
- News Excellence: Telemundo 39, “La Autoridad En Noticias”: Sandra Thomas, Vice President of News
- Community Service- KXAS/KXTX: “Clear The Shelters”: Nada J Ruddock, Vice President Community Affairs and Art Sobarzo, Director of Marketing
- Breaking News: “Balacera En North Lake”: Jose Bedoya Rivera, Producer; Freddy Oldenburg, Vice President of News; Ramon Diaz, News Anchor; Analia Fiestas, News Anchor; Cynthia Garcia, Assignment Editor
- Spot News: “Dallas Shooting”: Elizabeth Valles, Producer
- News Special: “Tornados, Un Año Despues De La Tragedia”: Elizabeth Valles, Producer- Daniel Manriquez, Photographer- Carlos Zapata, Anchor/Reporter; Norma Garcia Anchor/Writer
- Arts/Entertainment-News Single Story/Series/Feature: “Divos Del Metroplex”: Carlos Zapata, Video Journalist
- Specialty Assignment Report- News Single Story/Feature/Series: “Cuando Yo LLege”: Sergio Alvarado, Producer/ Photographer/ Editor
- Weather- News Weathercast: “El Tiempo Con Milmar”: Milmar Ramirez, Meteorologist.
- Sports- Sportscast: “Ramon y Telemundo Deportivo”: Ramon Diaz, Sport Anchor
- Sports- One -Time Special: “Destino Rio”: Ramon Diaz, Sports Anchor/Producer
- Human Interest-Program Feature/Segment: “Artist To The Dead”: Carlos Zapata, Video Journalist.
- Politics/Government- Program/Special: “Enfoque, Al Filo Del Muro”: Norma Garcia, Producer/ Reporter; Daniel Manriquez, Photographer/ Editor
- Specialty Assignment Report- News Single Story/Feature/ Series: “Crisis En La Frontera”: Carlos Zapata, Reporter; Daniel Manriquez, Photographer/Editor; Alfredo Sanchez, Producer.
- News Producer: “Lizzy’s Journey- News, Friendship And Magic”: Elizabeth Valles, Producer
- Talent- Anchors- News: “The Texas Duet”: Norma Garcia, News Anchor; Enrique Teutelo, News Anchor
- Talent- Reporter - Specialty Assignment: “Motivacion, Solo En Telemundo 39”: Andrea Aguirre Alvarado, Video Journalist
- Talent- Reporter- Sports: “One Woman Sports Band”: Ariana Figeroa, Video Journalist
NBC 5 and Telemundo 39 are co-located in The Studios at DFW. The television station duopoly works closely together to leverage their collective strengths and resources to better serve viewers – both Spanish- and English-speaking – in North Texas.
For complete details on all of the winners and categories, please access The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Lone Star Chapter’s official 2017 Lone Star Emmy Awardees list here.
About NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth / KXAS
NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth / KXAS is the local NBCUniversal-owned television station serving the communities of North Texas with quality local news, weather forecasts, consumer and investigative reports and sports and entertainment programming across all platforms, including the station’s dedicated website NBCDFW.com, its mobile app, social media channels and on COZI TV (Digital 5.2), the station’s multicast channel.
About Telemundo 39 / KXTX
Telemundo 39 / KXTX is Telemundo’s local television station serving the Spanish-speaking community throughout North Texas. Owned by NBCUniversal, Telemundo 39 delivers award-winning local breaking news, weather, entertainment and sports programming across a variety of platforms, including on air, online at Telemundo39.com and via mobile and social media channels.