A Haltom City firefighter had to be pulled from a food plant and transported to a hospital due to an overwhelming smell Wednesday night.
Firefighters were called to an alarm at the Tyson Foods plant along Meacham Boulevard at about 8 p.m.
Haltom City Fire Chief Fred Knapp said one firefighter had to be pulled out of the building by other firefighters because of breathing problems. Two other employees inside the plant were also taken to hospitals. All three are expected to be OK.
The latest news from around North Texas.
Knapp said a hazmat crew was called to the plant due to a smell described as "ammonia." Firefighters said smoke from a conveyor belt due to a mechanical problem caused the issue.
Tyson Foods released the following statement:
A fire involving a conveyor belt in a freezer at our Haltom City plant Tuesday night resulted in an evacuation and call to the fire department. The plant’s sprinkler system put the fire out. Due to smoke produced by the plastic conveyor belt fire, two plant workers were checked by paramedics at the scene but were not hospitalized. Currently, there is no indication that ammonia was involved.
The plant will not operate today, however, we currently expect to resume production Thursday. Damage appears to be limited to a freezer in the plant.
Crews will be at the Tyson plant Wednesday morning to investigate the source of the smell.
A Haltom City official said there was only minor damage to the building.
Editor's Note: We removed the address of the plant due to multiple listed addresses.