Fort Worth Police Officer Shot, Shooter Killed; Second Shooter Arrested: FWPD

Deceased shooter is the father of the fugitive, according to Parker Co. Sheriff Larry Fowler

A shootout between Fort Worth police and a fugitive and his son on Tuesday left one suspect dead and an officer critically wounded, authorities said.[[372146952,R]]

The shootout began at about 2:45 p.m. after Fort Worth fugitive task force police officers attempted a felony traffic stop along Interstate 30 near Hulen Street for 43-year-old Ed McIver Sr., who was with his 21-year-old son, Ed McIver Jr.

McIver Sr. was wanted on three felony warrants — aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault/family violence and bail jumping — according to Fort Worth police spokeswoman Cpl. Tracey Knight.

Photos: Manhunt After Fort Worth Police Officer Shot

The elder McIver was driving when officers asked him to pull over his vehicle. He instead fled west on I-30, past West Loop 820 to Longvue Avenue, where he exited and headed south. The driver stopped along the 400 block of Longvue Avenue, near Chapin Road, where both men jumped from the vehicle and ran into a wooded area, police said.

Fort Worth Police Chief Joel Fitzgerald said police were pursuing the men when gunfire was exchanged between the suspects and several officers.

The elder McIver was killed in the exchange of gunfire. His son eluded officers before being captured at about 6:30 p.m. after hundreds of law enforcement officers scoured a 2-square-mile perimeter, authorities said.

Fort Worth police officer Matt Pearce remains in critical condition Wednesday after being shot several times Tuesday.

NBC 5 learned the injured officer — identified late Tuesday as Officer Matt Pearce — was shot three times in the chest and once in the leg. He was transported by CareFlite to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth where he underwent surgery. As of Wednesday morning, Pearce remains in critical condition, but is expected to survive.

Pearce has worked for the Fort Worth police department since 2009.

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price asked for prayers for the injured officer, his family and all of the Fort Worth Police Department.

Officials have revealed that the critically wounded Fort Worth patrol officer was able to fire his gun after being shot, and that at least one other officer also fired his weapon at the McIvers during the shootout.

It's unclear how many bullets were fired and whose bullets made impact.

Crime scene investigators are still processing all the ballistics evidence.

Fort Worth police say one suspect is dead and another remains on the run after a shootout with a Fort Worth officer, who was shot and wounded.

The manhunt came to an end when a Fort Worth Police SWAT unit closed in on McIver Jr. in the woods. He was still attempting to hide, but police said he was "captured without incident." He was not hurt, and investigators were questioning him about the deadly shootout.

McIver Jr. was booked into the Mansfield City Jail on charges including attempted capital murder, evading arrest, unlawful carrying of a weapon and possession of a controlled substance, police said. His bond was set at more than $2 million.

Residents in the area near where a Fort Worth police officer was injured in a deadly shootout with two gunmen Tuesday were told to lock their doors while police searched for the second gunman.

The nearby community was locked down for hours — nobody allowed in or out — and people already home were told to protect themselves while police searched for McIver Jr.

"It's scary because you don't know if they're going to try and hide out, or force their way into your house, or shoot again," said neighbor Lore Arena.

The older of the two men involved in a shootout with police, Ed Russel McIver Sr., had a long history of run-ins with police in Parker County.

The elder McIver had a lengthy criminal history including charges of burglary, theft, criminal nonsupport, aggravated assault on a public servant, evading arrest and family violence including impeding the breath or circulation of another, according to county records.

McIver Jr. had been previously ticketed for failure to maintain financial responsibility, driving without a license and speeding, according to county records.

Fort Worth Police Chief Joel Fitzgerald and Mayor Betsy Price update at John Peter Smith Hospital on the officer injured in a shooting Tuesday.

Fort Worth Chief of Police Joel Fitzgerald thanked the community for their tips and help in locating McIver Jr. He said police are not searching for anyone else related to the shootout.

Meanwhile, crime scene investigators were still processing the McIvers' vehicle late Tuesday and checking for other weapons.

NBC 5's Scott Gordon, Chris Van Horne and Jeff Smith and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us