It's that time of year again!
Whether or not you live in Dallas, the annual Mayor's Back to School Fair at Fair Park is one of the biggest signs that school is about to be back in session.
Mayor Rawlings is hosting the 22nd edition of the event that gives children the school supplies, health, dental and vision screenings they need to start the year off in the best way.
The latest news from around North Texas.
And this year, all Dallas Independent School District students can stop by the Centennial Building Friday for back-to-school supplies. Other benefits include:
• Free school supplies for approximately 15,000 Dallas students in need in
• PreK through 12th grade
• Free uniform tops provided by Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
• Free dental health checks with fluoride varnishes, free toothbrushes and toothpaste for students
• Free immunizations for schoolchildren
• Free BMI, glucose and kidney health screenings for schoolchildren and families
• Free haircuts will be provided to schoolchildren
Doors are open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and walk-ins are welcome, though anyone who hasn't pre-registered must fill out a form at the gate, providing the student as a Dallas ISD student ID number on one of the following documents:
• Most recent student report card
• Letter from student’s school stating the student attends a Dallas ISD school
• Student ID card
• Printout from the online Parent Portal that shows student’s ID number
Non-Dallas ISD students must bring a picture ID, proof of City of Dallas residency and proof they meet the 2018 Federal Poverty Guidelines. Click here for more information on what is needed to register.
HOW TO GET THERE
Parking is free at Gate 2 or Gate 5.
DART green line to Fair Park or MLK, Jr. stations.
A tram runs from 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. from parking lots to the event inside the Centennial Building. Families will pass through the Centennial Building and into the Automobile Building before picking up school supplies at the end.