Man Arrested in Connection With TCU Student's Death - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Man Arrested in Connection With TCU Student's Death



    Fort Worth police have arrested and charged 21-year-old David Hidalgo with the murder of 23-year-old Stewart Trese, a Texas Christian University student. (Published Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014)

    Fort Worth police have arrested a person in connection with the death of a Texas Christian University student.

    Homicide investigators said some sort of altercation took place between 23-year-old Stewart Trese and an acquaintance, identified Wednesday by police as 21-year-old David Hidalgo, that led to the final moments of Trese's life.

    On Wednesday, police said Hidalgo had been arrested in connection wtih Trese's death, though they are asking that his photo not be shown until he can be put through a police lineup.

    Further details about the investigation have not been released and, as of 2 p.m., the Tarrant County medical examiner had not delivered a cause of death.

    No Arrests in TCU Student's Death

    [DFW] No Arrests in TCU Student's Death
    Though no arrests have been made, Fort Worth police said they know who had been fighting with a TCU student shortly before his death.
    (Published Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014)

    Investigation Into Student's Death Continues

    Just 24 hours after Stewart Trese was found dead inside his fifth-floor residence at the GrandMarc at Westberry Place Apartments, plenty of questions remain.

    "I was shocked, because it was on my floor. In shock," said TCU senior Kenzie Houston. 

    Houston said she didn't hear any sort of commotion or had any clue that just down the hall a fellow student may have been fighting for his life.

    "There was an altercation, and so it's just scary," said Houston.

    Officers said they discovered Trese dead with trauma to his body.

    "I don't see him as being someone who would put himself in that kind of situation, where it would be necessary for someone to initiate an altercation.  So, it's very surprising that it happened.  You just never know these days," said TCU senior George Madjitey.

    Homicide investigators identified and located the acquaintance and announced other students are not in any danger.

    TCU sent out a campus email Tuesday night reporting that the suspect, who has not yet been named by police, is not a student at the university.

    Many have questions about a delayed arrest, but are leaving it in the hands of police while they deal with the loss.

    "A suspect has been found. The police are dealing with it now," said TCU student Martin Torres.

    "It's really unfortunate to hear the news. I think a lot of us are touched by it overall and will come together as a community and pay our respects to him," said Madjitey.

    The Tarrant County medical examiner's office hopes to determine how Trese died by Wednesday afternoon.