Frisco House Explodes After Standoff, Fire - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Frisco House Explodes After Standoff, Fire



    Man Sets House on Fire During Standoff

    Police say 38-year-old William Chad Coleman threatened his fiancee with a handgun and then set her home on fire during a standoff Monday. (Published Tuesday, March 19, 2013)

    Frisco police say several small explosions damaged a home after a man set it on fire during a standoff with police on Monday night.

    Police say William Chad Coleman, 38, refused to leave a home at 6106 Arlington Drive after police responded to a domestic disturbance call around 9:49 p.m.

    The call began when the suspect's fiancee drove to the Frisco Police Department and reported that Coleman chased her from the home and into her vehicle. The victim also said that Coleman pointed a handgun at her in a threatening manner, police said.

    Responding officers observed Coleman carrying several firearms while inside the home. Officers contained the area and brought in tactical units while making contact with Coleman through 911.

    Standoff Comes to Explosive End in Frisco

    [DFW] Standoff Comes to Explosive End in Frisco
    Police say William Coleman threatened his fiancé with a gun and then set her house on fire.
    (Published Tuesday, March 19, 2013)

    Coleman allegedly threatened to come out "blazing fire," police said. Officers reported hearing loud noises from within the house, the breaking of windows and several small explosions coming from the garage where a fire began.

    "I saw police running up and down the alley here," neighbor Steve Benhoff said about the incident. "I heard several explosions. ... One rattled my window a little bit."

    Another neighbor, Susan McDermott, said the police contacted her with a warning about the situation next door.

    "[They said] 'stay away from the windows; don't let anyone out,'" she said.

    An hour later, they came with another warning.

    "They came pounding on my door to get out of my house because the house next door was on fire," McDermott said.

    After the start of the fire, Coleman evacuated the burning house and surrendered to police without incident, investigators said.

    "All the sudden, the guy come running out of the house, they all yell, 'get down,' he bends down in the front yard, and they handcuffed him," Benhoff said. "Then, the back of the house was pretty much engulfed in flames."

    Coleman was transported to Centennial Medical Center in Frisco and treated for smoke inhalation.

    Coleman has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and is in the Frisco jail on a $150,000 bond. He could also be charged with arson once the fire investigation wraps up in Frisco.

    NBC 5's Kendra Lyn contributed to an earlier version of this report.