Family Flees Home With CO Poisoning - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Family Flees Home With CO Poisoning



    Family Flees Home With CO Poisoning
    Getty Images
    "Oh, my God, I have so many mixed feeling about all of this," the victim's son, Joaquin Rivera Jr., told the Philadelphia Daily News.

    An entire family from Irving was hospitalized early Wednesday morning after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in their new home.

    The family of five moved into the home along Tacoma Street near Irving Mall at about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday evening. A short time later, they all began to feel strange.

    The family's patriarch, Hussein Adam, said his wife and three kids, ages 13, 6 and 2 months old, all felt ill and that his wife and children began vomiting.

    "My kids started vomiting ... I thought maybe just allergies or something like that. Then I saw my wife falling down and I was thinking, maybe just open the windows, but that didn't help," he said.

    Family Hospitalized With CO Poisoning

    [DFW] Family Hospitalized With CO Poisoning
    A family of five was sickened just hours after moving into their new home.
    (Published Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2009)

    The family called 911 and firefighters were dispatched to the home.  Firefighters quickly determined the cause of the problem were high levels of carbon monoxide.

    Paramedics transported four of the family members to Baylor Medical Center in Irving, where they were treated and released. The family's mother was transported to Baylor Medical Center in Dallas because of her higher level of exposure to the gas, according to fire officials.

    Capt. Paul Harris, of the Irving Fire Department, said the fire marshal, along with Atmos Energy, will investigate the cause of the leak.

    Harris also said the family reported hearing the CO detector go off, though fire officials did not report hearing it when they entered the residence.  Harris said incidents such as these illustrate the need to not only have smoke detectors inside of residences, but working CO detectors outside of every bedroom as well.

    The carbon monoxide levels in the home have now normalized, but the family said they won't be staying there just to be on the safe side.

    NBCDFW's Ashanti Blaize contributed to this report.