Dad Saves Kids From Fort Worth House Fire - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Dad Saves Kids From Fort Worth House Fire



    Two kids are recovering at Cook Children's Medical Center after suffering from smoke inhalation. The kids' father rushed into a burning house Tuesday morning to save them. (Published Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014)

    Two kids are in the hospital for smoke inhalation after their father rushed back into a burning house Tuesday morning to save them.

    Paramedics rushed 38-year-old Jose Aleman and his two children, aged 3 and 4, to an area hospital for their exposure to the smoke that billowed from the fire on 1206 NW 15th Street in Fort Worth.

    All three are expected to be OK.

    According to fire crews at the scene, the father rushed back inside the burning home to save two kids.

    "It's certainly courageous," Fort Worth Battalion Chief Richard Harrison said at the scene. "We don't want to encourage people to go back into an involved structure. That's extremely dangerous. But who can tell a father what to do to save his kids?"

    Fire crews said the house didn't have smoke detectors and that the fire may have started from a space heater near the kitchen.

    Neighbors said the scene of the fire was frightening.

    "I put the baby down and ran to the window and you could see the house on fire, and see people crying and scared," said neighbor Christina Martinez. "It was scary. They [the flames] were shooting out of the window. It was pretty scary."

    Ten people were said to have lived in the house, including several young children.

    The father was treated and released from the hospital.

    Cook Children's Medical Center said that as of Tuesday night, the two boys are in fair condition and expected to make a full recovery.

    NBC 5's Jeff Smith and Scott Gordon contributed to this report.