Methanol Exposure Hospitalizes 7 - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Methanol Exposure Hospitalizes 7



    Methanol Exposure Hospitalizes 7

    Coppell firefighters and HAZMAT teams were called to the 1400-block of S. Belt Line Road Friday afternoon after several people became ill.

    According to Coppell Deputy Fire Chief Eric Greaser, seven people were hospitalized after they became nauseus and began vomiting after smelling methanol.

    According to Sharon Logan, with the city of Coppell, several people at Hyundai Motor America were exposed after a barrel was punctured.

    Methanol, or methyl alcohol, is a widely used solvent and fuel that can irritate eyes, skin and the respiratory system while causing headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting.  Exposure can, in severe cases, cause blindness, according to the United States Department of Labor.