Omar Villafranca, NBC 5 News
A 2-year-old boy's birthday gift that was ordered online arrived with someone's plaster dental molds included in the box.
Jessica and Mizael Quiñones bought the perfect toy for their 2-year-old son's birthday, but they got more than they expected.
When the toy truck arrived at their doorstep in Corinth, the Quiñones started putting it together. Inside the box were the proper parts, instructions -- and someone's plaster dental molds.
"I thought he was pranking me, because I didn't think they were real," Jessica Quiñones said when her husband showed her the extra item in the box.
Also inside was sensitive medical information belonging to the patient.
"Once I saw that paperwork, the name, phone number, medical record number, that's when I knew we've got to do something about it," said Mizael Quiñones.
The molds belonged to a woman in Houston who was a patient with Dr. Zeb Poindexter in Houston. The family called the dentist's office to let them know they had their molds. Paperwork inside the box show the molds were being sent to the Continental Dental Lab of California.
NBC 5 contacted the Houston dentist but did not hear back. Karen Chamberlain at Continental Dental Lab of California told NBC 5 that they never received the molds to be worked on and that they would talk with the dentist and the shipper to find out what happened.
The shipper was FedEx. In a statement to NBC 5, FedEx spokesman Scott Fiedler said:
"Our goal is 100 percent reliability, and we want to apologize to the customers involved. We will credit both customers' accounts and will return the shipments at no-charge. We've been trying to retrieve the shipments from the customer so they can be returned. We are conducting an internal investigation to help ensure this does not happen again."
NBC 5 contacted Walmart's media relations department, but they did not call back with an explanation.
The Quiñones said they just want to know how the plaster chompers ended up in their child's gift.
"It seems like someone must threw them in there. There were chips scattered all around the box, so it was negligence on someone's part," said Mizael Quiñones.