Sources say a plea deal was reached Tuesday afternoon in the "Wylie's Angel" case.
Darlene Phillips, the grandmother of Gerren Isgrigg, the child known as "Wylie's Angel" after his body was found near a pond last year, has reportedly signed off on a plea agreement she will enter in court Wednesday.
The details of the agreement have not been made public.
Phillips was indicted on a capital murder charge in connection with the boy's death.
But last week, prosecutors went to a grand jury to have Phillips re-indicted on the murder charge as well as a charge of injury of a child or disabled person.
Phillips was already set to go to trial on the original murder charge in three weeks, and prosecutors had no reason to re-indict her with a second charge if they were intent on prosecuting her for murder.
Injury to a child or disabled person is second-degree felony. Court papers say Phillips knowingly caused serious bodily injury by failing to provide necessary medical care and nourishment and abandoned him in a place he was unlikely to receive necessary care.
Gerren's body was found in Wylie on April 15, 2010. The 6-year-old weighed only 28 pounds.
The boy, who was blind, deaf and had serious, violent seizures, needed to be fed through a feeding tube.
Phillips was Gerren's primary caregiver for three consecutive years.
More than a week after the discovery of his body and an exhaustive search to learn his identity, Phillips turned herself in, acknowledging she left him there with a note attached hoping someone else could help give him a better life.
Phillips has been in jail for just more than a year.
- Wylie's Angel Grandmother Faces New Charge
- Attorney Slams Murder Charge in Wylie's Angel Case
- North Texans Say Goodbye to Wylie's Angel
- Father of Wylie's Angel Grieves
- Investigation Into Death of Wylie's Angel Turns to Mother
- Wylie's Angel Left in Park Alive: Affidavit
- "Wylie's Angel's" Dad Shocked, Angry Over Son's Treatment
- Police Identify Wylie's Angel, Arrest Grandmother
- Mourning Wylie's Angel (video)
- Memorial Grows in Wylie (video)
- Prayers for Wylie's Angel (video)
- Police, Wylie Residents Desperate to Identify Dead Child
- Reward Issued for Wylie Boy's ID