Neighbor Rescues Woman From Burning Home

By Stacy Morrow
|  Tuesday, Nov 17, 2009  |  Updated 5:41 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Neighbor Rescues Woman From Burning Home

Getty Images

An elderly Dallas woman who was trying to keep warm is rescued by a neighbor after a fire breaks out inside her home, Dallas-Fire Rescue says.

advertisement

An elderly woman who was trying to keep warm was rescued by a neighbor after a fire broke out inside her house Monday, Dallas-Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said. 
 
The neighbor called 911 after seeing smoke at about 10:30 p.m., and then pulled the 92-year-old woman from the house in the 700 block of Green Cove Lane in Oak Cliff, Evans said.
 
Investigators said the woman doesn't have central heating or air conditioning and was trying to light a fire in the fireplace by using twigs and leaves from her back yard. 

"While she went outside to gather some more material for the fire, it sparked and ignited some magazines that were stacked too close," Evans said in a news release. "It was also discovered that she did not have a working phone in the home; which inclined her to try and protect her home instead of figuring out a way to notify authorities."

Evans said the woman burned her hands and face while trying to put out the fire and was transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in stable condition.

The neighbor was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. There were no other injuries reported.  

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out