An AWOL soldier accused of planning to blow up a Texas restaurant frequented by Fort Hood troops could face more charges.
A federal judge heard testimony from FBI agents Thursday in the case of Pfc. Naser Jason Abdo, then sent the case to a grand jury.
The judge said Abdo could be indicted on additional charges but didn't elaborate.
U.S. attorneys already have charged Abdo with possession of an unregistered destructive device.
The 21-year-old was arrested last week at a hotel near Fort Hood.
Investigators say Abdo had a handgun and ingredients for an explosive device. He's being held without bond.
Abdo’s court-appointed attorney Keith Dorsett shed little light on the case after the hearing.
“The stage of the case is in right now, it’s not appropriate for me to comment on the case," he said. "It wouldn’t be appropriate or ethical for me to do so. We’ll watch the case as it develops.”
Last week inside the courtroom, Abdo was unruly in front of the judge, refusing to stand up and shouting the name of Maj. Nidal Hasan, who is accused in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood.
In Thursday’s hearing, Abdo was much more reserved, occasionally whispering to his attorney. However, he was spotted smiling several times.
Dorsett would not comment on Abdo’s behavior.
“I’m not going to comment on his mental status," he said. "You saw him in the courtroom today, so you can make your own judgments.”
Last month, Abdo went absent without leave from Kentucky's Fort Campbell, where he's been charged with possessing child pornography.