After Emergency Landing, Passengers Resume Trip to Seoul, South Korea

Flight to Seoul departed DFW at about 6 a.m.

View Comments (


    Airport officials say Korean Air Flight 32 leaving Dallas turned around because of apparent engine problems after takeoff and was greeted on the tarmac by fire trucks. Passengers are talking about their ordeal that had the plane dumping fuel over North Texas.

    The second time is the charm for 223 passengers headed to Seoul, South Korea out of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, Monday morning.

    On Sunday, those passengers were onboard Korean Airlines' Flight 32 to Seoul when their pilot was forced to dump fuel and make an emergency landing back at DFW shortly after takeoff.

    “We heard a loud sound. It was like a boom,” said passenger, Iris Stewart.

    "They said 'please keep calm,'" said passenger John Hollrah.

    Passengers Leave for South Korea After Emergency Landing

    [DFW] Passengers Leave for South Korea After Emergency Landing
    The second time is the charm for 223 passengers headed to Seoul, South Korea out of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, Monday morning.

    "Yeah, that was the one thing I didn't want to hear was 'everyone please remain calm,' I didn't want to hear that," passenger Tim West continued.

    Investigators have not yet said what specifically led the pilots to declare the emergency, but initial reports indicate the aircraft lost one of its engines.

    The 223 passengers on the flight tried to keep their cool, only to be surprised to look out their windows and see jet fuel streaming out of the plane's wings. 

    Using his mobile phone, Vuong Nguyen shot video of the fuel dump as the pilots tried to lighten the load for an emergency landing.

    “It was a little disconcerting for several passengers to see the fuel being dumped,” passenger Kelleen Powell said.

    Experts said the fuel dissipates in the air and doesn't pose a threat to anyone on the ground.

    According to airport officials, the plane landed safely about 40 minutes after declaring the emergency.

    “They didn't know if it would be a crash landing or not.  It turned out to not be, and we were just so grateful for having the care that we had and that we got out safely,” said Stewart.

    David Magana, with the airport, said the aircraft was inspected upon landing and it was determined that nothing catastrophic had occurred.  Magana said it will now be up to mechanics to determine the exact issue with the aircraft.

    None of the 223 passengers on board were injured.

    Korean Airlines put passengers in a hotel overnight before checking them in for the early, 6 a.m. flight.  The travelers are expected to reach their destination at about 9 p.m. CT.

    While some of the passengers were nervous during check-in, others were optimistic and ready to get to South Korea.

    “I know it's going to be a fabulous flight,” Stewart said.

    NBC 5's Ray Villeda and Frank Heinz contributed to this report.