The Texas Rangers set their Opening Day roster Thursday, about two hours before the team takes the field against the Chicago Cubs.
To get to the limit of 25 players, the team picked up the contracts of RHP Jeanmar Gomez, infielder Logan Forsythe and outfielder Hunter Pence from Triple-A Nashville.
- RHP Connor Sadzek was designated for assignment.
- Outfielder Zack Granite was optioned to Triple-A Nashville.
- RHP Adrian Sampson was assigned to Triple-A Nashville.
- LHP Yohander Mendez is on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to March 25 (UCL sprain).
- RHP Luke Farrell is moved to the 60-day injured list (jaw fracture).
The Rangers now have 40 players on their active major league roster, including:
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
Pitchers (13): Kyle Bird, Jesse Chavez, Kyle Dowdy, Jeanmar Gomez, Shawn Kelley, Jose Leclerc, Lance Lynn, Chris Martin, Shelby Miller, Mike Minor, Drew Smiley, Jeffrey Springs, Edinson Volquez.
Catchers (2): Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Jeff Mathis.
Infielders (5): Elvis Andrus, Asdubal Cabrera, Logan Forsythe, Ronald Guzman, Rougned Odor.
Outfielders (5): Shin-Soo Choo, Delino DeShields, Joey Gallo, Nomar Mazara, Hunter Pence. 10-DAY DL (1): RHP Luke Farrell.
60-Day DL (2): OF Scott Heineman, LHP Yohander Mendez.