10. Let’s put to rest once and for all this notion of the Cowboys having “the best offensive line in the NFL.” That group was bludgeoned by the Panthers on every snap. Tony Romo was under duress from the start, and Darren McFadden finished with 11 yards on 10 carries.
9. I know he picked off Romo twice, but I still maintain that Luke Kuechly > Luke Bryan. I’m born and raised in Texas and like my share of legit country music, but it’s embarrassing that the rest of America actually thinks that’s “our” music. Because it’s horrible music.
8. The Cowboys’ season has been disastrous on every level, including their head coach. Why did Jason Garrett kick a field goal on Dallas’ first drive of the second half with his team trailing, 23-3? And, worse, why did he waste a timeout on a preposterous challenge of an obvious Panthers’ completion? For the year Garrett is 2-5 on his challenges. For what it’s worth, with nothing to lose and desperate for a spark, why not attempt an onside kick to start the 2nd half?
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
7. In their all-blue uniforms the Panthers may have looked like the Smurfs, but the Cowboys in their all-whites played like it was a training camp practice.
6. Cam Newton is having a nice season. But truly great quarterbacks don’t over-celebrate touchdowns with choreographed dances. And they sure the heck don’t give exaggerated, demonstrative first-down signals with a 33-14 lead and 3 minutes remaining. Just smacks of an immature guy who isn’t accustomed to success.
5. Sometimes you think the NFL is a brutal war between rugged gladiators. And then you're reminded that "leaping" is a penalty.
4. In the 6+ quarters of his return, Romo threw 49 passes and was intercepted five times. Ouch.
3. Romo’s re-broken collarbone was ugly. Made us all cringe. But the most hideous sight of the game was Dallas’ 3rd-and-3 call of a bubble screen to … Gavin Escobar. What the what?!
2. Crappy Thanksgiving! On the last two turkey days the combined score is Cowboys 24, EaglesPanthers 66.
1. Most troubling play of the entire game was the first Pick 6. While the Panthers’ Kurt Coleman returned an interception for a score, 40 yards downfield Dez Bryant decided it was a good idea to talk trash to Carolina cornerback Josh Norman. Instead of hustling to make a points-saving tackle, Bryant – who is a captain and supposedly a team leader – up I over team. He also produced only 2 catches for 26 yards. I’m not saying Dez has quit. But I am saying it’s impossible to defend him against critics who claim he’s gone totally downhill since getting his big contract.
A native Texan who was born in Duncanville and graduated from UT-Arlington, Richie Whitt has been a mainstay in the Metroplex media since 1986. He’s held prominent roles on all media platforms including newspaper (Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Dallas Observer), radio (105.3 The Fan) and TV (co-host on TXA 21 and numerous guest appearances, including NBC 5). He lives in McKinney with his wife, Sybil, and two very spoiled dogs.