Massachusetts police are investigating the death of an 18-month old child who suffocated, apparently because of a home remedy for head lice involving mayonnaise and a plastic bag.
A Springfield police department spokesman says officers responded to a city home last Saturday for reports of a child not breathing.
Sgt. John Delaney says the little girl's scalp was covered in mayonnaise and a plastic shopping bag was placed over her head, a common home remedy for head lice. The girl was left unattended and apparently fell asleep, allowing the bag to slip down over her face, suffocating her.
The matter remains under investigation and no charges have been filed.
The state Department of Children and Families is also investigating.
Cayenne Isaksen, Director of Public Information with the DCF could not comment on the number of children in the home. Any children have been removed from the home and are in the care of a relative, she said. The DCF did not take custody, according to MassLive.