Two Tornadoes Strike Dallas County Sunday: NWS

Two small EF-1 tornadoes touched down in Dallas County early Sunday morning , according to The National Weather Service in Fort Worth.

No one was injured or killed in either tornado.


An EF-1 tornado touched down at 2:34 a.m. in Irving just north of a golf course in Las Colinas. The tornado, with 105-110 mph winds, was one mile in length and 300 yards wide.

Many trees, power lines and buildings were damaged along North MacArthur Boulevard between Corporate Drive and West Walnut Hill Lane.

This twister dissipated at 2:36 a.m.

From NWS: The EF-1 tornado with 105-110 mph winds was one mile in length and 300 yards wide. It started at 2:34 a.m. in Irving just north of a golf course in Las Colinas.

Farmers Branch

An EF-1 twister with 100-105 mph winds was five miles in length and 200 yards wide in Farmers Branch.

The tornado touched down at 2:34 a.m. in Dallas near the intersection of Walnut Hill and Marsh. Meteorologists said it crossed over I-635 LBJ Freeway at Josey Lane where it damaged the roof of an apartment complex.

In Farmers Branch, it damaged the roofs of warehouse buildings near Interstate 35E and Valwood Parkway before dissipating at about 2:39 a.m.

Dawna Debter wasn’t home when the storm hit, but she told NBC 5 she and her husband rushed to their house when their neighbor called to tell them a tree crashed into their home in Northwest Dallas.

“We had just kind of been praying the whole way down here like, 'OK, God, just give us strength for whatever is here we don’t know,'" Debter said. "As we were coming down the street, we couldn’t see the house but it looked bad, but you couldn’t tell how bad until we got inside."

North Texans woke up to flooded roads and weather damage after a long night of heavy rain and sometimes sever storms.

Debter said they were nearing completion of repairs on their home that forced them to stay in a hotel since early March. Now, she’s not sure if they’ll be forced to stay away longer after her neighbors tree split in half and went through her roof leaving a gaping hole.

“Shocking to come back to you know,” Debter said. "It’s just a house; we weren’t there, which I’m very grateful because that would have been very petrifying to have been in it when the roof was coming down.”

Two streets away, Peggie Chiles and her husband spent the day with their family who came to help clean up. Chiles said they lost two trees and are thankful there wasn’t more damage. She was home when the storm moved through just after 2:30 a.m.

“We heard a whoosh and we could feel the house go out and feel the house go in, and then we lost electricity so we got up started looking around and could not see the front of the house,” Chiles said.

An office building and a business just off Forest Lane near Josey also appeared to be damaged by the storm.

Contact Us