A 2-alarm fire in Dallas that damaged an apartment building and left 40 people homeless on New Year's Day has been ruled accidental, officials say.
Firefighters with Dallas Fire-Rescue arrived at the Spanish Creek Apartments just before 10:30 a.m. and found smoke in the attic.
The smoke quickly turned to flames that erupted through the roof as more than four dozen firefighters battled the fire.
After the fire was extinguished, investigators determined the fire started when a resident left food unattended on the kitchen stove. From there the fire spread into the attic and down the length of the building.
Though only one residence was damaged by fire, the roof was damaged over the length of the building and seven other residences were damaged by water used to fight the fire.
The American Red Cross is expected to render aid to as many as 40 residents displaced by the fire.
No injuries were reported.