Last month, the NBC 5 Responds team took a closer look at the Texas Do-Not-Call list and why hundreds of consumers felt that it wasn't working.
The FTC has received more than 1.9 million complaints filed in the first five months of 2017 alone.
In an effort to crack down on these illegal calls, the agency has implemented a new strategy. When a consumer reports a Do-Not-Call violation, the FTC will send the robocaller's number to phone carriers.
The latest news from around North Texas.
But they're not just getting a list of phone numbers. The data will also include the date and time the unwanted call was received, the subject matter of the call and whether the call was truly a robocall.
But the only way this will work is if consumers do their part.
Here are Samantha Chatman's solutions:
• If you have received any illegal calls, go to FTC.gov to report it.
• Consider downloading apps like Nomorobo.
• Also, don't answer any unfamiliar calls. An answered call notifies the telemarketer that the number is active and encourages more calls to that number.
• Don't press any numbers and don't wait to speak with an agent. That'll usually lead to more calls.
• Consider downloading apps that help to block robocalls.