AAA Texas is warning North Texans to avoid drinking and driving on Super Bowl weekend.
The organization cited statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation, saying eight people died in alcohol-related crashes on Super Bowl Sunday in 2014. There were 128 DUI alcohol-related traffic crashes throughout Texas that day.
The agency encouraged people to have a sober driver if they plan to drink at a Super Bowl party.
They encouraged hosts to serve the following alcohol free cocktails:
From Nancy the Coupon Clipping Cook at SheKnows.com, this colorful blue and green mocktail is bursting with team spirit for those rooting for Seattle!
Yield: Five servings
The latest news from around North Texas.
• 8 cups crushed ice (amount may vary depending on the size of serving glasses)
• Hawaiian Punch Green Berry Rush (6-pack of 10 fluid ounce bottles or similar quantity in a large bottle)
• Air Heads Fruit Squeezers Blue Raspberry drink (1 6-pack of 6.75 ounce bottles or less depending on the size of serving glasses)
Add the crushed ice in the serving glasses all the way to the top. Put straws in the glasses and pack the ice in tight, adding more crushed ice if needed. Pour Hawaiian Punch over the ice until the glass is half full. Let it sit for a moment so all the green color settles on the bottom. Slowly add the Air Heads Fruit Squeezers to fill the glass to the top. Serve immediately.
New England Non-Alcoholic Sgroppino
Adapted from Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse in Boston, MA, this tasty drink is something for younger and older New England fans to cheer about. Party hosts may experiment with ingredient amounts for their preferred taste.
Yield: One serving
• 6 oz. Martinelli’s Sparkling Cider
• 2 oz. Apple sorbet
• Mint leaf to garnish
Pour into a single 8-oz. serving glass.
Hail Mary Mocktail
Yield: One serving
• 1/2 cup tomato juice
• Dash lemon juice
• Dash Worcestershire sauce
• 2 drops Tabasco sauce
• Salt to taste
• Celery stick for garnish
• Pickle (optional) for garnish
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in highball glass with stirrer and add garnish.
Iced Ginger Coffee Mocktail
Recipe, photo from Food52.com blogger Panfusine.
Yield: Two servings
• 2 shots freshly brewed espresso coffee
• 3-4 tablespoons ginger syrup (see notes)
• 2-3 teaspoons fresh ginger extract (see notes)
• ½ cup whole milk plus extra for frothing
• Brown sugar for rimming the glass
• Chocolate shavings and/or pieces for garnish
Combine espresso, extract and syrup in mixing cup, mix well and add milk to taste. Chill until
very cold. When mix has cooled, heat 1/2 cup milk for 30 seconds in microwave, then use handheld battery milk frother to whip well. Decant espresso mixture into mini martini glasses lined with brown sugar, top drink with milk froth, and garnish with chocolate.
• 1 cup freshly grated ginger
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup water
Combine sugar and water over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add grated ginger and cook until the mixture reduces and is syrupy in consistency. Strain the ginger. (Extra syrup can be stored in a mason jar and refrigerated for up to one week for use in drinks or over sorbet.)
Fresh ginger extract
Finely grate a 2-3 inch piece of ginger and squeeze out juice into cup. Let sit for 5 minutes before use. Discard white residue at bottom.