Two House Fires in North Dallas - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Two House Fires in North Dallas



    Neighbors helped Alyssia Birnbaum escape a a fire that burned through two homes in north Dallas Friday night. (Published Friday, Jan. 17, 2014)

    Fire damaged two neighboring homes in far north Dallas Friday evening.

    Flames spread from a two-story house in the 3000 block of Renaissance Court to a single-story home, according to fire investigators on scene.

    Firefighters from Dallas Fire-Rescue, as well as those from Carrollton and Plano helped to extinguish the fire.

    No one in either home was hurt in the fire, according to neighbors and fire officials.

    Multiple Agencies Fight Two Dallas House Fires

    [DFW] Multiple Agencies Fight Two Dallas House Fires
    Multiple fire departments were called to put out two house fires side by side on the 3000 block of Renaissance Court in Dallas Friday.
    (Published Friday, Jan. 17, 2014)

    A resident of the single-story home escaped injury thanks in large part to the efforts of her dog and her neighbors.

    "I was in the shower and I heard banging on the door and I thought it was just noises in the house, the pipes, whatever," said Alyssia Birnbaum. "And the dog started spinning in a circle. So I came out, jumped out of the shower with soap in my hair and came to the door and there were neighbors banging on the doors and windows. I guess they said they were about to break down the door because they said they heard a dog barking and they thought they were gonna try to save her."

    Birnbaum escaped her home while wearing only her bathrobe, but said neighbors helped provide her with other clothes to wear.

    The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the victims of the fire.

    Investigators have determined the fire was an accident.

    Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said the fire started when a young boy who lived in the home used a lighter to burn some leaves on the outside patio. The fire quickly spread to throughout the home. Since the fire began so close to a neighboring home, the radiant heat was intense enough that it was made an exposure.


    NBC 5's Ben Russell contributed to this report.