Pothole Blamed in Dallas Officer's Motorcade Crash - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Pothole Blamed in Dallas Officer's Motorcade Crash



    Pothole Blamed in Dallas Officer's Motorcade Crash
    Dallas police say Senior Cpl. Michael Manis crashed after hitting a pothole.

    Dallas police said Tuesday that a motorocycle officer who was part of President Barack Obama's motorcade hit a pothole before crashing.

    Police said the motorcycle rotated when Senior Cpl. Michael Manis hit a pothole while switching lanes. Manis was thrown from the bike, which kept going.

    He was one of the officers escorting Obama from Dallas Love Field to a Democratic fundraiser in Highland Park on Monday.

    Manis sustained abrasions to his elbows and hands and hit his head, but doctors determined Monday he did not have a concussion. He was released from the hospital Tuesday morning after being kept overnight for observation.

    Police said Manis was on his feet immediately after the crash but later lay down as precaution.

    The city of Dallas has cut funding for street maintenace for the past two fiscal years. The city manager's proposed budget for the next fiscal year does not restore funding cuts that were implemented for this fiscal year.

    Dallas faces a $130 million budget shortfall for the next fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1.

    In June, several City Council members voiced support for a property tax hike because of declining street conditions. City Manager Mary Suhm told council members at the time that pothole-patching crews would not be cut, but reductions in other street maintenance projects would likely increase the number of potholes in the city.

    Police said Manis was at home resting Tuesday and is expected back to work very soon.

    Manis is a nine-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department. Police said he completed several weeks of intense training since he joined the motorcycle squad in March. Manis also rode in two other motorcades; escorts for Vice President Joe Biden and the king of Jordan.

    Obama called Manis Tuesday evening, the White House said.

    "He offered his best wishes for a speedy recovery and said he was grateful (for) his service," a White House official said.

    Previous Coverage: