Fort Worth Teen Killed in Hit-and-Run - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Fort Worth Teen Killed in Hit-and-Run

Mother pleads for driver to come forward



    Deston Bibbs, 14, was fatally struck while riding his bicycle along Crowley Road, just south of Sycamore School Road in south Fort Worth, on Thursday night. (Published Friday, April 26, 2013)

    The mother of a 14-year-old boy killed by a hit-and-run driver Thursday night is begging the driver to surrender.

    "Come forward. Turn yourself in. The damage is already done," De'Shundria Parks said. "Prolonging it is just going to make it worse. You have to face your consequences."

    Her son, Deston Bibbs, was struck while riding his bicycle at about 9:20 p.m. along Crowley Road, just south of Sycamore School Road in south Fort Worth, police said.

    The boy sustained broken bones and severe head trauma in the crash, police said. He was hospitalized overnight in critical condition and died Friday morning.

    Parks said her son was heading to a Family Dollar store about a block away to buy some Gatorade and potato chips.

    Bibbs was a seventh-grader at H.F. Stevens Middle School in Crowley.

    He liked to play basketball, draw, play the drums, sing and just joke around.

    "He was silly," his mother said. "He was the class clown."

    But he also had a serious side. He wanted to join the Air Force to help people, she said.

    Police said they don't know of any witnesses to the crash, but investigators were able to determine, based on the tire marks left on his clothing, that a sport utility vehicle or large truck struck the teen, police said.

    Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the case. Tipsters can remain anonymous. Anyone with information is asked to call 817-469-8477.

    Meanwhile, investigators are looking at footage from red-light cameras and nearby surveillance cameras to try to narrow the search for the driver.

    "If it was an accident, it was an accident," Parks said. "But you left. And you left my son there like he was nothing. He was something to me. And I will never get to see him again, ever."

    Editor's Note: Police initially said the crash took place at 11:15 p.m but later said it was at 9:20 p.m. We regret the error.