Brain-eating Bacteria That Killed Man Likely Came From Texas Water Park, Tests Reveal

A Texas water park is facing a $1 million wrongful-death lawsuit after water tests showed it likely exposed a man to the brain-eating bacteria that killed him.Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died on Sept. 21, weeks after visiting the Barefoot Ski Ranch in Waco, the Houston Chronicle reported. Test results released Friday show the brain-eating amoeba that killed him probably came from the park, where the water was insufficiently disinfected and conducive to the amoeba's growth, according to a report by health officials.Now Rita Stabile, the victim's mother, is seeking more than $1 million in damages from the surf park, which she alleges did not keep their water safe, the Chronicle reported.The suit, filed on April 9 in McClennan County, says the park could have prevented Stabile's death "had they exercised ordinary care in the operation of their water park," according to the Chronicle. The surf resort is currently operating, though the Chronicle reported that district employees inspected a new water-filtration system in the park before it opened for the 2019 season.  Continue reading...

Read More

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us