Angelina Jolie Says Child Casting Story Is False, Upsetting - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Angelina Jolie Says Child Casting Story Is False, Upsetting

Angelina Jolie and producer Rithy Panh issued joint statements Sunday responding to the outrage and refuting claims that the production was exploitative through a representative from Netflix, which is producing and distributing the film

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Make your Summer Getaway a Win
    Heng Sinith/AP
    Jolie said parents, guardians and doctors were on set daily to care for the children and "make sure that no one was in any way hurt by participating in the recreation of such a painful part of their country's history."

    Angelina Jolie says accounts of her casting process for children to appear in her film "First They Killed My Father" are false and upsetting. An excerpt from a Vanity Fair profile of the director sparked backlash online earlier this week from people who criticized the methods as being cruel and exploitative.

    Adapted from Loung Ung's memoir, the biographical drama centers on her childhood under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia. Jolie co-wrote and directed the film, which she talked about in a recent Vanity Fair profile.

    The article described a scene in which casting directors in their attempt to find a child actress to play the lead role presented money to impoverished children only to take it away from them as an acting exercise.

    Jolie and producer Rithy Panh issued joint statements Sunday responding to the outrage and refuting claims that the production was exploitative through a representative from Netflix, which is producing and distributing the film.

    'Tonight’: Ventimiglia Teases 'This Is Us' Season 3

    [NATL] 'Tonight’: Ventimiglia Teases 'This Is Us' Season 3

    Milo Ventimiglia teases a younger Jack Pearson, Vietnam flashbacks and Jack and Rebecca's first dates in Season 3 of NBC's "This Is Us."

    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018)

    "I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario. The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting," Jolie said. "I would be outraged myself if this had happened."

    Jolie said parents, guardians and doctors were on set daily to care for the children and "make sure that no one was in any way hurt by participating in the recreation of such a painful part of their country's history."

    Panh, who himself is a survivor of the Khmer Rouge, added that casting "was done in the most sensitive way possible."

    He described a process that was informed both by families' preferences and NGO (non-governmental organization) guidelines in which the children understood that they would be acting out a scene.

    "The children were not tricked or entrapped, as some have suggested," Panh said. "They understood very well that this was acting, and make believe."

    The Vanity Fair article went into more detail about the production than the one paragraph that circulated on Twitter, which sparked the initial outrage.

    'The Voice' Winner Jordan Smith Performs 'Only Love' Album

    [NATL] Hear the Newest Songs From 'The Voice' Winner Jordan Smith's New Album, 'Only Love'

    "The Voice" season nine winner Jordan Smith gave NBC an early peek at his newest album, "Only Love," singing "Only Love," "Please" and "End in Love."

    (Published Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018)

    A representative from Vanity Fair issued a statement Sunday saying that author Evgenia Peretz "clearly describes what happened during the casting process as a 'game' " and "that the filmmakers went to extraordinary lengths to be sensitive in addressing the psychological stresses on the cast and crew that were inevitable in making a movie about the genocide carried out in Cambodia by the Khmer Rouge."

    Jolie's film will debut on Netflix sometime after showing at the Toronto International Film Festival this September.





    'Late Night’: Lee Talks Charlottesville, ‘BlacKkKlansman'

    [NATL] 'Late Night’: Lee Talks Charlottesville, ‘BlacKkKlansman'

    “BlackKklansman” director Spike Lee sits down with Seth Meyers to talk about the story behind the movie and the connections between last year’s Charlottesville protest and “BlackKklansman."

    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018)