E-Cig Bursts Into Flames in California Bus Rider's Pocket | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

E-Cig Bursts Into Flames in California Bus Rider's Pocket

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A man in California is recovering after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket this week. The 53-year-old man was on a bus in Fresno Wednesday morning when the device started smoking and then burst into flames. (Published Thursday, Dec. 22, 2016)

    A man was taken to a California hospital Wednesday afternoon after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket while he was riding a bus, authorities said.

    The Fresno Bee reported that witnesses on the bus said the man was trying use the device when the driver told him to stop. Authorities said the man then put the device in his pocket where it malfunctioned and burst into flames. Witnesses say the man jumped from his seat screaming for help, the newspaper reported.

    Fresno Fire Department spokesman Hector Vasquez said the victim was conscious and alert at the hospital. His name and age were not released. No one else was injured.

    His condition was not available Thursday.

    Man Burned When E-Cig Explodes in Pants: Authorities

    [NATL-NY] E-Cigarette Explodes in Man's Pocket
    An employee of Central Cellars in Grand Central Terminal was seriously burned when the e-cigarette in his pocket exploded into flames. Michael George looked into the story.
    (Published Thursday, Nov. 24, 2016)

    A statement from the CEO of trade group the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association called the incident avoidable in a statement, and said it involved an MOD battery.

    "These are high powered rechargeable batteries that when not stored properly could cause harm. This is most likely due to the individual having other metal objects like small change and or keys in their pockets," Ray Story said in the statement.