Some Lantana residents want lawmakers to ban fireworks in communities like theirs.
Fireworks sparked a fire on New Year's Eve that came just feet from some residents' homes. The blaze burned about an acre and a half of the Lantana Golf Course.
"All the cities around us ban fireworks," resident Max Miller said. "Here we are, and we don't have a fireworks ban."
The community is a part of unincorporated Denton County, where it's legal to shoot off fireworks, he said.
Lantana is a special taxing district, which means it doesn't have the right to ban fireworks.
Resident Bill Featherstone has been urging state lawmakers to change the rules for densely populated areas such as his neighborhood. The holiday fire adds fuel to his campaign, he said.
"Ban it [fireworks] here, because this is just, this is just too much," Featherstone said.
Argyle Fire District Chief Mac Hohenberger said the fire moved quickly because of wind.
Some residents say they're against more regulations, but the ones next to the burned patch of land say, bring on the rules.
Jennifer Ramirez said the blaze was not a good way to celebrate the new year. The Lantana Golf Course is right out her back door.
"We saw in the window the reflection of a fire," she said. "We ran out and saw the golf course was on fire. I am running upstairs to get pictures, and you are just panicked. You are panicked. You see your whole house going up in flames in a matter of seconds."
The person responsible for the Lantana fire was fined for the damage to the golf course.