Eat Yourself Thin With The 80-20 Rule

By Kevin Cokely
|  Wednesday, Dec 23, 2009  |  Updated 12:29 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Eat Yourself Thin With The 80-20 Rule

Getty Images/Stockbyte Silver

Don't say "diet" when you're trying to get in shape, think 80-20, doctor says.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Eat Yourself Thin With The 80-20 Rule

An Irving family doctor says losing weight begins at the grocery store and he encourages shoppers to fill their carts by following a simple rule.
More Photos and Videos

An Irving family doctor says losing weight begins at the grocery store and he encourages shoppers to fill their carts by following a simple rule.

"Eighty-20 healthy to less healthy," Dr. Douglas Cluff said. "If 80 percent of what you eat is healthy, you can totally have fun with the other 20 percent."

The simple program emphasizes healthy eating, realistic goals, stress management, and regular exercise with routines he developed.

"I would love to kill diets," Cluff said. "People try to run the weight-loss race as if it were a sprint, and it's not. It's a long-term thing. It's a marathon."

Cluff's client Ashley Baxter said she struggled with her weight for years, and then lost 67 pounds over three years on his SvelteLife program.

"It's actually very easy. But the hardest part is the fact that it takes a long time," Baxter said. "You have to slowly change your life so that you can keep it that way and then your weight will come off slowly and surely and you'll become more healthy."

Cluff advises his clients and patients to read food labels, choose their food wisely and plan ahead for the holidays.

"Never go to a party on an empty stomach," Cluff said. "That's a big no-no. Try to eat and fill up before you go with healthy stuff and then don't deprive yourself. Take a little portion of this, a little portion of that."

The key is watching what you eat, and how much, he said.

"What people eat is nowhere near as important as how much of it they eat," Cluff said. "So in moderation, that 80-20 rule is crucial."

Cluff put his entire weight loss system online at www.sveltelife.com.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out