Cameron Diaz's gorgeous embellished Oscar de la Renta gown was simply stunning. I also loved that her hair and makeup weren't the cookie-cutter "updo with smokey eyes and nude lips" look you see so often on the Red Carpet. Her bold red lips and polished, side-swept waves were old Hollywood glamour at its best, but can anyone pull off this look?
I decided to find out… and put myself in the hot seat as the beauty guinea pig!
First stop — Dior on Rodeo Drive where Dior Beauty Celebrity Makeup Artist Thuy Pham began my Cameron transformation.
"You want to make sure that the lips are the statement," Thuy (pronounced Twee) says. "You can just whip on some red lips, simple eyes with a little mascara and you're good to go."
Click HERE to see a photo of Ryan at the makeup session with Thuy.
1. "Always start with the skin," advises Thuy, "especially when it comes to using the right moisturizers and creams. A lot of times people think, it's just about the makeup and the color, but not having the right skin underneath really doesn't allow the makeup to wear well throughout the day."
2. Once moisturized, Thuy sprayed a fluffy brush with Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation and applied all over the face, like you would with a powder. "It blends completely into the skin, it disappears and then voila, we are flawless!" She then applied Skinflash concealer under the eye, and also around the lips to prevent the lipstick from bleeding.
3. "Now, we're ready for some eyes. Cameron didn't do a lot, so we'll just do a simple wash of color on the eye." Thuy used 5 Colour Eyeshadow in "Incognito," which consists of five wearable, neutral colors. "Use a neutral beige to be your all-over base color all over the lid, nice and clean just to hide everything and create a nice space." Thuy applied a brown shade in the crease to give a little contouring, and then pale pink on the lid, to brighten the lid and pop the eye color. She used white shadow on the inside corner of the eyes to bring light, and then grey shadow on the outside corners for lift.
4. Thuy lined the top lid using Dior Eyeliner in Black and then she smudged it with an eyeliner brush. "I don't want it to look too harsh, I want a little more of a soft effect so that it doesn't look like eyeliner, it looks more like a soft smudge between the lashes."
5. To finish the eyes, not one, but two mascaras. "It's called mascara wardrobing. You want mascara to curl your lashes (Diorshow Iconic), and then Diorshow Black Out, to give super intensity, so they really pop."
6. Next, add blush. Thuy used a rosy shade called Strawberry Sorbet high on the cheeks.
6. Then, the grand finale…the lips. First, Thuy used a neutral Lipliner in Caramel to outline the edges of the lips. Next, she applied Rouge Dior in Celebrity Red lipstick. "The best trick for putting on red lipstick is I never recommend putting it on directly from the tube, I highly recommend only applying it with a lip brush."
And the results are amazing. I NEVER do bold lips and now, here I am with gorgeous, red lips!
Once my makeup was done, it was off to the Serge Normant at John Frieda Salon on Melrose Place, where Celebrity Stylist Jessica Tingley was ready to transform my hair into sexy Diaz waves.
"It's old Hollywood glamour bombshell, just the classic blonde wavy hair, red lip…knock out!" Jessica says.
Click HERE to see a phot of Ryan at the hair session with Jessica.
1. First, she applied Aveeno Nourish + Style Volumizing Foam to add volume to hair. She recommends using it on damp hair before blowing hair out, but it can also be used on dry hair. Part hair in a deep side part.
2. Then use a curling iron with an inch or inch and a half barrel to curl the front and crown. "You're just going to take a few big pieces and pin them into place. You're kind of almost doing a roller set with no rollers." Jessica advises to make sure when curling, to pull the hair up and out from the root, because you want it to have volume.
3. Pin curls on the front and crown of head, so they can cool and set.
4. Next, use the iron to create waves in the rest of the hair. Take big random sections and curl down and under.
5. Once hair has cooled, undo pins and then finger comb hair. "I'm just going to run my fingers through and break up those curls and place the hair in position."
5. Sweep hair to one side like Cameron did. Use a bobby pin if you need to. Jessica uses a light mist of Fekkai Sheer Hold Hairspray to hold the style.
"I love that look, it's classic," Jessica says. I couldn't agree more.
For more tips from Jessica, go to www.jessicatingley.com.
Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Oscars 2010: Red Carpet Stars!
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Oscars 2010: Ravishing Ruffles!
PLAY IT NOW: 2010 Oscars Red Carpet: Penelope Cruz - It's More 'Exciting' The Second Time
PLAY IT NOW: All Access Pass: The 2010 Oscar Red Carpet!