Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
Ht. 5'10", Wt. 204, Arm: 30 ⅝", Hand: 8 ¾", Bench: 15
40 yd: 4.50, 10 yd.: -, 3 Cone: -, Vertical: 39", Broad: 10'10"
Games Watched: Alabama (2014), Ole Miss, Alabama
Vernon Hargreaves III hit the ground running at Florida, being named a third-team All-America after breaking up 10 passes and intercepting 3 in 10 games as a true freshman. He was even stronger as a sophomore, with 13 passes defended, 3 interceptions and earning first-team All-America honors.
Hargreaves went into his junior season as one of the top draft prospects at cornerback. His stock has "slipped" some since then, but he still garners first-round consideration. I personally devalue the cornerback position, though, so he's fighting an uphill battle in that regard.
• Man Coverage - Strong when he can press
• Deep Zone Coverage - Excels in Cover 3, 4
• Good Instincts - Diagnoses, recognizes plays quickly
• Quick - Changes direction well
• Run Defense - Very willing run support
• Closing Speed - Good plant/drive
• Catch Point - Often makes play on ball
• Return Experience - Could handle kick/punt duties
• Off Issues - Not as effective when he can't press and not facing QB
• Recovery Speed - Leads to WR separation
• Bad Feet - Often choppy, inefficient in backpedal
• Hands - Typical DB
• Overly Aggressive - Susceptible to double moves
• Size - Lacks elite height, length
Verdict: Second-Round Pick
A lot of people absolutely love Hargreaves. I'm not one of those people, but I do think he's a very good prospect. When he's in press-man or deep zone, he looks like a first-round pick. When he's in off-man or short zone, though, he looks more ordinary to me.
If the Seattle Seahawks end up with Hargreaves, he'd be a Pro Bowler — whatever value that holds, these days — very quickly. He's too inconsistent for the Cowboys to consider using a first-round pick on him, but he'd be a good value if he falls to their second-round pick. If he can clean up his relatively mild coverage issues, he could be a Josh Norman-like player in the Dallas secondary.