Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett admitted this week that, in retrospect, he probably should have pulled Tony Romo when things got out of hand in New Orleans on Sunday night.
Backup Kyle Orton remained on the bench through the fourth quarter--even through a final drive that saw Romo sacked twice. According to Garrett, the first-teamers were lobbying to stay in, but he says now that that’s no excuse.
"We should have taken him out," Garrett said of Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "We talked about taking him out. He wanted to stay in. We should have taken him out. ...We should have taken all those guys out, but they all wanted to stay in. 'We're not coming out.' But that was a bad decision by me. We should have taken them out of the game."
Orton last played in a regular season game back on October 1 of last year, when he did some custodial work late in a Monday Night blowout loss to the Bears, and went 9-for-10 passing for 89 yards and a touchdown.
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe, text HELP for more info, and text STOP to end the subscription. Message and data rates may apply.Read more about it here.