Dallas Cowboys left tackle Doug Free has gone from question mark to top priority for the team.
2010 was Free’s first full year as a starter in the NFL, replacing Flozell Adams on Tony Romo’s blindside. He initially impressed coaches in place of Marc Colombo on the right side in 2009, and has done enough since then to shoot to the top of the Cowboys’ list of priorities when normalcy returns to the league.
"He'll be our No. 1 priority when things start up," said Stephen Jones on Tuesday, per the Dallas Morning News. "We want to sign Doug back."
The Cowboys’ commitment to Free didn’t exactly come out of left field. In March, he received the first- and third- round tender offer--the same that was given to Miles Austin last offseason--which would pay Free around $3.5 million in 2010. If the old system remains after the lockout, however, Free would be eligible for unrestricted free agency, making the tender offer void.
"Under one set of circumstances we've got to sign Free," said Jerry Jones. "Under another set we may not be able to keep him. We'll see where we are."
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW Sports on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe to this free service. Read more about it here.