Less than a week after being released by the Dallas Cowboys, center Phil Costa has signed with the Indianapolis Colts, the team announced Thursday evening.
Indianapolis cut Samson Satele, their starting center in 2013, last week--which leaves the door open for Costa to make a run at the job. Not surprisingly, Costa is looking forward to the new start.
“That’s my mindset with it and the Colts provide a great opportunity for it,” Costa said. “My entire career from college to now I’ve had that free agent mentality. It’s a great opportunity and I’m excited about it.”
Costa started all 16 games for the Cowboys in 2011 and went into camp as the presumptive starter in 2012. But due to back and ankle injuries, he only ended up appearing in three games. The beginning of the end of Costa’s time in Dallas came last April, when Dallas selected center Travis Frederick with the 31st overall pick of the draft. With Frederick in the fold, Costa appeared in just three games and started in none in 2013.
Before his release, Dallas did seriously consider holding onto Costa as a backup, but on the condition that he take a pay-cut. Costa, as you can imagine, wasn’t a fan of the idea.
“Phil is a young, hard-nosed and physical center who has shown he can play at a winning level in our league,” said Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson. “He will provide strong competition at the center position.”
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe, text HELP for more info, and text STOP to end the subscription. Message and data rates may apply.Read more about it here.